Thursday, November 01, 2012

homemade chocolate 'n stuff

We did well with hurricane Sandy.. it is still raining off and on, and everything is soggy outdoors for sure.  Would like to see the sun shine for a while again.. missing those days.. even if they did bring the crappy stinkbugs out.  
Today is Wendy's birthday.. WOW!  I remember that day so well.. it was frightening and joyful and scary and happy all at the same time.  We came very close to losing that little girl that day..  but that wasn't what God had in mind at all.  Today she is all grown up, married and 5 children added to her life's basket.  God is good.  

Are you voting during the upcoming election?  I keep weighing this back and forth.  I feel a strong pull to go ahead and vote, though neither fits the Biblical description of our leader.  No matter what, God reigns as King.. all others are insignificant.  I know what the present leader of our nation stands for, and I also know it is not good.  I am led to vote in opposition to him, as if I don't vote that way, it is a vote in his favor.  Hopefully a businessman will be able to help turn our nation around.. in the mean time, keep praying- its all we have.

I got groceries today.  The farmer market had asparagus on sale in the clearance buggy- I bought 3 big bunches and we had it for supper tonight.  I didn't see anything wrong with it- tender and delicious as usual.  Canned asparagus isn't great, in fact, its pretty lousy.. and frozen isn't so great either.  Fresh asparagus rules!

Yesterday I lost my head while making supper.  I try to time my meals carefully so I don't get hungry before time.. but I was hungry as I prepared supper last night.  I made Wendell meat loaf and chicken for me.. I made us peas and a big bowl of mashed potatoes.. I just gave myself a healthy portion and ate 90% of it all when I realized that I was eating meat and potatoes- something that causes me severe heartburn.. oh, yes.. and it did.  Tonight I was smarter- I made the asparagus, boiled cabbage, and canned potatoes.. I carefully avoided any protein foods.  Wendell had the left over pork roast.  It is still so savory.  Tonight I plan some frozen fruits.  I have to wait till about 8pm to give my system time to digest the veggies I had for supper.  Frozen strawberries, mango, and peaches.. I'll toss in a banana,grapes, and slices of apple as well.. yummy!
Hubby thinks I eat enough for an army, but I'm losing weight on top of controlling indigestion, so I really don't want to change anything just yet.

I found a recipe for homemade "Hershey" chocolate:
1/2 heaping cup cocoa
4 Tbsp coconut oil
Sweetener to taste (I used agave today, but will try stevia next time)
you can add milk or water to this, but the idea is to stir it all up till it's smooth.. and then pour it out on a pan... freeze or just put in the refrigerator for a while.  Oh.. this stuff is great!   THEN.. I found out that agave will raise triglycerides.. I knew it was too good to be true!   So next time I make this, I'm going to try stevia.
Next time I want to make peanut butter balls with stevia and dip them in the chocolate and then refrigerate them.. OH.. that sounds even MORE heavenly!!!
  
  
  

No comments: