Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My aching back

Our new home is sweet. It's just what we love.. homey and warm and pleasant. The week before the move I started having back problems.. spasms and the S-I joint out of place. Ugh!
Pain and more pain.. pain pills, patches, heat and cold.. nothing relieved it much.
I suspect moving boxes, though not heavy by any means, was at the base of it all.
This weekend was pretty nasty, and though I rested most of Sunday and Monday (I didn't unpack much of anything), it still gave me enough pain for the medication. Today was my office day. I was sore, but I could walk and move a little better than the previous two days. So I ventured out this morning early, cleared the 2-3" of snow off the car and made it successfully up the driveway. I thought I had it made, but when I turned onto 3 Degree Road, the car did a mini donut with a truck behind me and a car coming from the direction I needed to turn.. I tensed up, naturally , and made it through without hitting anyone. Roads were ICY! Wendell put studded snow tires on, so I wasn't fearful of the drive to that point. At the stop sign at the fire hall, the car had a mind of it's own and tried to slide right through with more traffic coming. I really tensed up then, and decided to pull off into the fire hall parking area. At least the truck behind me wouldn't rear-end me. It's a wonder he didn't- he was so close behind me. My legs didn't want to move at that point and I had intense pain in my back again. :( I turned around and went back home and called the office manager to tell her I wouldn't be in.
I layed down for several hours. I got up just before 1pm.. very sore. Hard to even sit up on the edge of the bed. I've tried heat and a little bit of ice too- it's just gonna have to rest for another day or so.
I'm up and on my feet now, but have to lay down frequently.

Our move was smooth. Everyone helped and in one day, the majority of our belongings were transferred to 'the house next door'. Literally, we have moved next door. There are still many boxes to be unpacked, but these are not in the kitchen area, nor the living room. For a while, we had boxes lining our hallway. These are broken down and bagged for the next burning day.
I have a gas range. I've never had one before. I love this kind of cooking. Nothing more than low low flame for anything so far. Our furnace is gas too. It's a dryer heat than we are used to, but I think I'll like it.

Our furnishings are meager, but we have everything we need for comfort. Wendell and I have decided to make one more purchase- that of 2 pole lamps for the living room. It is so dark in there when the sun goes down. I wish it had a ceiling light.

Wendell and I have worked at getting the dryer hooked up so we could wash clothes here. Last night we got it done.. and it hummed like a sewing machine- till I put a load of wet clothes in it and it sounded like someone put a load of tin cans in it and turned it on. Crash! Bang! Clank! Bump! Thump! Well, you get the picture. Ah..well.. I think there is a new dryer in our future.. maybe.

Today I got online and changed our address with the post office and driver's licenses. The DLs are free, the post office charges $1 to change the addy- rip off!
I called the bank and made the changes for our new checks too. Let's see.. our insurances, and car registration.. all done. Hope I haven't missed anyone.. Maybe I better check in with the personnel office at the hospital so they have our correct addy.

I still need my printer. I may go for it tomorrow. Can't do much with the back so inflamed. Best not to try picking anything up with any weight.

*** When we moved in here, we had a king sized bed. JJ and Keith put it together for us, and the only sheets I could locate at that point were the satin ones I'd bought on sale months before.
Had to laugh as we stood there watching the top sheet and the comforter slide slowly to the floor right before our eyes. I found the cotton sheets and they remade the bed for us. At least the covers stay on the bed now.. hahaha..

No comments: