Monday, November 09, 2009

China cupboard



I've been feeling kind of discouraged over a couple of issues. God is so good and understands my kind of nonsense. There wasn't good reason for my discouragement except that so many things seemed to be hitting me at once.
I have been waiting for a most important phone call for a month. It came finally today.. in God's time , which of course, is always the best timing. It seems like I get frustrated with the way He handles things until I realize if it was MY way, it would likely be a disaster. Things happening in His time are always better and I don't want it any other way. In fact, the details of the call were so much better than I'd anticipated.. can't ask for more than that.
I was feeling a bit green this morning and couldn't seem to get my act together, but after the call, made my own call to Wendy to tell her what was happening. I mentioned to her that I was looking for a used china cupboard for our new home, but didn't want to go alone.. I'd have to ask Amanda.
Before our conversation was over, Amanda walked in and asked me to go to some of the thrift stores. This is absolutely true. I had planned to put a note on Facebook tonite to let folks know I was looking for a small used china closet. So when Amanda wanted to go 'slumming'.. I agreed. Can't hurt to look, eh?
We walked into St Vincent de Paul.. and there it was. My heart nearly stopped.. and immediately I searched for the price tag.. $99.99. I could afford this today. It's worth so much more than that, but God had it all planned for us, even the price. I called Paul for help hauling it and Charlie to tell him we had to store this thing for a week. All things worked together for good for us.
When we got to White's where Charlie is staying, Paul, Daniel and John unloaded it into the empty kitchen there, and put the top on the base. My heart about stopped for the second time today. It's so beautiful.. elegant.. more than I could have anticipated. Thank you my children for being so generous with your time and muscle..
Now I have a place to put my beautiful china that Wendell gave me just before we were married. It's spent most of 40 years in either a box or in a cupboard where no one ever saw or used it. We will be using it often now.. I only regret that we didn't start using it sooner. I am pleased.

4 comments:

Full of Grace said...

Wow, it is beautiful! I'm glad you found it! I'm also glad that you got your long awaited call! I love my china hutch too. It was a craigslist find, and not my typical style but I love it nonetheless :)

Jemit said...

Thanks, Elizabeth.. I appreciate your comments.
When Wendell and I built our 'big' 2 story house, one of the things I really wanted was a china closet, but never was able to afford one, and if we did, nowhere to put it.
This find today was nothing short of God's pouring out of his love on me just when I needed a lift.
It was perfect timing and perfect price, Paul wasn't working today and he had a truck to haul it, he wasn't busy since he was at the doctor's office for a simple check up.. all things fell in place perfectly. I have a wonderful bunch of kids who look out for Wendell and me.
We are so blessed.

Wendy said...

It is indeed a beautiful thing! The extra storage space is awesome too...lucky you! I need a china closet too.

Jemit said...

Wendy.. I'll keep my eyes open