Saturday, January 03, 2009

What will be your legacy?
His mercy goes on from generation to generation, to all who fear him.
Luke 1:50 NLT

But as for me, I will sing about your power. I will shout with joy each morning because of your unfailing love.
For you have been my refuge, a place of safety in the day of distress.
O My strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love.
Psalm 59:16-17 NLT

A wonderful inheritance
What will your children inherit?
What about your grandchildren?
Would you like them to know God's mercy as you have or even more so?
What a wonderful inheritance to pass on from generation to generation.
If this is what we want for our children, we must help them to reverence the Lord.
Mercy is God's gift to us; reverence is our gift to God.
The two work together to leave a legacy of faithfulness to future generations.
Many people think of God as being angry and judgmental, pointing his disapproving finger at our sins and failures.
In reality, God is both holy and merciful.
In his holiness, he calls us to moral and virtuous living; in his mercy he is willing to forgive us, and he loves us even when we fail.
The psalmist is rejoicing that he can rely upon God's mercy, which becomes a protection against the destructive forces of evil.
How will you rely on God's mercy this year?

adapted from TouchPoint Bible with commentary by Ron Beers and Gilbert Beers, Tyndale House Publishers (1996), pp 882, 500

No comments: