Sunday, August 20, 2006

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT



Hey! That sounds like the beginning of a great novel! But, wait........ we must have had quite a storm here yesterday evening.. the clock stopped at 8:24 when the lights went out... no power. I was at work at the hospital, so was unaware of what I'd come home to.
Wendell always leaves outside lights on for me.. funny, I never noticed the pure darkness around the neighborhood. Last night there were no lights on for me when I arrived at home....UGH! That meant stumbling through the yard to the front door and hoping I didn't trip over anything in my path.

Once inside the house, I realized what had happened.. I thought someone turned off all the fans, lights etc at first.. but quickly realized that I'd have to find light somewhere to get around before trying to go to bed.

I needed that flashlight in the bedroom, but to get to it, I'd be stumbling ....... AHA!! the perfect flashlight!.. My cellphone !!!! It doubles perfectly as a flashlight, though it doesn't stay on long..

I lit a scented candle for some light in the bedroom, and then tried to figure out what to do. Hmmmmmmmmmm
There really wasn't anything I could do but pray the power would be restored soon. I needed to go to bed.. to sleep... but how could I do that without the c-pap?? It's electric.. and I have SOSA.. I have to have that thing going to breathe at night. Well, I just had to 'wing' it.. I used the cell phone to get myself settled into bed, and then tried to get comfy.. it wasn't easy. I'm so used to that machine providing my air for me at night or when I lay down.
On the rare occasions that I fall asleep without c-pap, I awaken with severe headaches...today is no exception.. killer headaches are not nice to experience... At least I know the cause.
It's about 4am, and I awoke when the power came back on.... along with the headache.. I will need to work on that this morning as I do want to go to church. Hopefully, the Tylenols will kick in and a shower will help too.
Wendell is working today.. his first weekend of the season. The extra hands at the park are gone back to school, and later, the layoffs will begin. In the mean time, the schedules have to be rearranged to cover the weekends, so he's now working a few before his layoff comes up.
Fortunately for him, the power is now on and he's able to have a hot cup of coffee before leaving. I'm thankful for the fans back on and will join him with a cup of coffee shortly- sometimes caffeine helps the headache too.
So..... hopefully this is just a bump in the road, and all will proceed well today..
Have a fabulous day.......... pray for us... needing it a lot this day.

No comments: