Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I was just thinking about creating a new blog for myself.. one private one that I wouldn't have anyone else have to read with my whining and complaining.. and realized that these things are actually a red flag to others and myself to pray. We are told in scripture that we are to be content, and though I am for the most part, I also have physical ailments that I never dreamed I'd have. Consider this "whining and complaining" as part of a road map for others.. what's happened to me, may happen to you, and how I deal with it all. Ultimately, when I fall flat on my face with whatever befalls me, you can depend on the fact that while I'm down there, I'm praying and crying to my Father for help. He's always there and He lifts me up.
Monday was bad. No, worse than that.. horrendous. I found myself with more than just the gravel throat of Sabbath day.. I'd begun to wheeze, and my peak flows were plummeting deeper into the critical red zone where one is told to seek medical assistance.
By Monday night, I was not able to sleep because of the coughing and wheezing, and by Tuesday morning I was feeling like I was breathing through a straw. Try that if you want to know the way an asthmatic feels when they are having an attack. It's scary to say the least. I know how Wendell feels now when he can't catch his breath. Monday night we talked about just going into the local emergency room for treatment, but then, my doctor would be back Tuesday morning and I was concerned that I might be admitted if I went to the ER. So I held out.. and made the appointment for early afternoon yesterday to see my PCP. It was about 2 hours before my scheduled appointment that I again gave consideration to the ER. Major bronchospasms were leaving me exhausted.
My doctor confirmed what I already knew.. that the asthma was out of control.. and said the wheezes were everywhere- much like a wind tunnel. I really love my doctor..he's so sympathetic and goes out of his way to be considerate and helpful.
He took away one steroid inhaler and gave me something different to see if we could get things controlled better. He gave me a bag full of sample meds to take and try for this month before I see the allergy doctor June 25 for allergy shots. He also gave me a nebulizer treatment before I left the office. I had a handful of scripts when I left.. some for things I had to have filled now, and some for later if the samples work well for me, and some for free scripts from the drug company.
Wendell drove up the street to my employer's office and we parked in his lot. Before I went in, I sorted the scripts between those to be filled now and those for later. The 'now' pile I placed in the recess under the radio in the car. Wendell saw one of my scripts slip through a micro slit under the radio and into the dashboard. Wouldn't you know it was a 'scheduled' drug and now it was gone. We talked about going to Country Motors to have them remove the dashboard to get to the script. UGH.. I really didn't need this.
I went into the office to see my doctor employer about taking P3 with me Wednesday to help me pack for our move to the new office, and told him of my dilemma. He told me to go right back to the PCP's office and though there are signs everywhere that they don't replace scripts, to tell them what happened and request a new script. The girls in the office, giggling and shaking their heads at my story, wrote out the new script. Even the doctor got a chuckle out of the situation.. but I got the script reissued thankfully.
By the time we got home, I was beginning to feel more relaxed and human again.. the wheezing had begun to settle, and was handleable. I went to sleep..
This morning, after a fair night's rest, I'm ready to go to work.. I'm not over all of this, but I'm improved somewhat and that's a good thing.
I'm hoping I can make a trip to California yet in the next month or so.. the doctor says 'not yet'. So we'll just wait it out a bit and see what the day brings forth.
Gotta get moving.. Need to stop for some cash for lunch for P3 and me.. pick up P3, my meds, and get tools together and some cleaning supplies. I'll know better tomorrow what I might need.
Can't wait to see my new office all done. I'll take some pictures to share.
I thank the Lord for good doctors and remarkable medicines to get me from the nightmare of yesterday to the glory of today.
May the Lord bless you all today as He has me..

No comments: