Saturday, March 06, 2010

The heavens tell God's glory

When was the last time you really looked deep into the night sky?

The heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvelous craftsmanship.
Psalm 19:1 NLT


The story is told of a remarkable rabbi named Abraham Heschel.
Several years before his death he suffered a massive heart attack, and he was sure he would die.
His best friend sat by his side.
Rabbi Heschel whispered to his friend, "Sam, I feel only gratitude for my life, for every moment I have lived.
I am ready to go. I have seen so many miracles during my lifetime."
Exhausted, the old rabbi leaned back in his bed to catch his breath.
After a long pause, he said, "Sam, never once in my life did I ask God for success or wisdom or power or fame. I asked for wonder, and he gave it to me."
Everything about God and creation screams out thoughts of wonder and amazement.
Any person who can stand before it and yawn is either dead and buried or might as well be.
With God, boredom is not an option.
King David cried out to God in song, "I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you have set in place…the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea, and everything that swims the ocean currents. O Lord, our Lord, the majesty of your name fills the earth!" (Psalm 8:3; 8-9)
I'm one who believes there are no atheists in the world, only stubborn insubordinates.
God's creation is his greatest evangelist.
How sad that we so seldom stop to acknowledge its wonder.
adapted from Embracing Eternity by Tim LaHaye, Jerry Jenkins and Frank M. Martin,, Tyndale House Publishers (2004), p 37

No comments: