Saturday, February 14, 2009

I feel comforted. The Valentines have arrived safely and our home is again warm and cozy.
I took a nap this afternoon (with my functioning CPAP) and felt so much better when I awoke. Lack of sleep and feeling cold does funny stuff to me. I don't think I was thinking clearly this morning when I was so very cold .. I wonder if I actually was hypothermic judging from my reasoning. Wendell kept telling me we should pack up and go to JJ and Keith's house.. we have a house key and we could have let ourselves in and just slept on the sofa.. I kept wanting to just stay put.. not move.. and sleep.. I really needed sleep badly... and the thought of 'packing up' to go somewhere else was just too much.. I wasn't thinking clearly at all.
Now that my brain is thawed out and actually functioning, I can see that we should have done just that..
Well, next time.. oh.. is there going to be a next time?? This is twice we've survived without power for days in recent months. Is it someone else's turn yet? No, I wouldn't wish this on anyone truly. If it does happen again, Wendell and I know how to weather it better for what we've learned. It's an aggravation, irritation and miserable to be without running water or lights or power to run basic appliances.. but our ancestors did it as a matter of routine and didn't know the future held these wonders. I'm spoiled by the generation I was born into.. I'm a good bit softer than my ancestors I'm certain-my idea of camping out is Holiday Inn. But the 2 occasions that we have done without electricity have actually made us stronger and more knowledgeable about how to survive. It's not wilderness, but it's close. We still had our car and could get warm in it.. but it used precious fuel..so we didn't do that too often, just when it got unbearable. We had batteries in the portable radio and they last a long time if one is careful about how long you leave it on.
We need to learn to live like pioneers did.. go to bed at sundown when there isn't any more daylight, and get up at sunrise.. use the day light to accomplish whatever needs done, and then sleep at night..
I don't know as I could have built a fire in the firepit across the driveway, but I suppose it would have been a possibility if we didn't have the propane grill.. and of course, Charlie has a propane stove in the trailer.. and he had his kerosene heater going too.
I warmed water on the grill to wash with.. and then used that wash water to flush the commode.. yeah.. you can't flush it but once when the power goes out. The pump stops and that's that. I've always wanted an outdoor hand pump.. don't have a clue how to go about it though.
OH..and one more thing.. We need to rembember to get replacement batteries for the ones we used this week.. and emergency candles.. and matches..wooden ones are best, and keep them dry.

I have to say I did miss the computer and my emails.. but it was getting easier yesterday and this morning to just ignore the machine. Wendell never turned the TV on till late tonite.
Tomorrow is the Sabbath.. we plan to be in church with our family..
See you there?

No comments: