Friday, February 20, 2009

low maintenence

I'm low maintenence.. I don't require a lot to be content. Besides the little that I spend on my make-up or now my hair color.. (I'm still wondering if I'm totally gray yet???hehehe) I don't spend a lot on myself. I do purchase certain things new, like my undies and shoes, but most of my clothes are thrift store selections that I've found now and again.. some with tags still on them. And of course, the clothes that Jane has passed on to me. I have no lack of clothes at the moment.

I was thinking about the day I asked my mother what my dad's gross income was for the year.. I say YEAR... and she said 'about $2000'... WOW! Now that was about poverty level back then, and I wasn't aware we were so poor. We always had enough food and clothes and though we didn't have the latest of every new fad, we didn't feel deprived in any way.. at least I didn't. I remember Mum taking us to Murphy's 5&10 and selecting 'shirt waist' dresses for us.. I had a lavender one and I was always so proud to wear that dress. It lasted a long time. Mum taught me how to make a simple pleated skirt with a piece of fabric, and I had several of them.

I later learned how to make my own wrap around skirts when they were popular.. really nice ones.. I had a wardrobe!

I put myself through nursing school. I remember taking Mum to the old Logans Ferry A&P and telling her 'go ahead and fill the cart with whatever you want..' I had my first paycheck as a nurse in the bank, and could cover whatever she chose.

Computing taxes this week has made me very aware of how close to that poverty level we are at the moment.. and though we live from paycheck to paycheck, and sometimes the balance is less than a dollar just before the next check comes, we are keenly aware that God does provide for us. The next check comes and we are off and running again.

There is precious little extra money after bills, but we always seem to have enough for whatever things come up.. birthdays, or whatever.

Today I borrowed from my next paycheck (next week) to buy yarn.

I searched JoAnn fabric and found some lovely pink yarn that was marked $2 off /skein, and with the extra yarn I have at home, I'm making JJ the afghan she has been wishing for.. pink.

As I said, I'm low maintenence, and require little.. but I like a bargain and will buy if I find something we need.
So tonite and probably tomorrow, I'll be crocheting. It's good for my hands that have so much arthritis. I dare not leave them quiet for long. They need moved frequently.. I even purposely wash the dishes by hand instead of the dishwasher sometimes just to get the warmth to the joints that I don't seem to be able to do otherwise. I've been trying to convince Wendell to try crochet, but so far, he doesn't want to try. I think it would be good for him, and certainly there are many men who crochet.. or do other needlework.. Rosie Greer?



It's been very cold here. Tonite it's about 16 degrees.. and the wind has been blowing pretty hard.. I don't know what the wind chill factor is, but it must be about 3 degrees. At least it's not snowing.



We had a great time tonite with our little Valentine family. Pray for their safe return home tomorrow if you would. I'll miss them all. Eli gave me a wonderful hug tonite which surprised me no end, as he hasn't been making much association with me this time. He is a busy little 2 yr old.. He has unloaded and loaded our tupperware cupboard at least 30 times. It's at his level and he can't get hurt.. so it's all good. He seemed content to do it.

Isaac and Essie both told me they want me to bring my SkipBo cards with me when we go to visit mid March for Eli's birthday.



I'm tired. I need some sleep and I think I may even sleep in tomorrow. Wendell and I have been fighting sore joints and muscles the past couple of days.. it's been pretty bad. I mentioned to anyone who would listen.. it's not much fun growing old... I wish someone had warned me.. come to think of it, I think my mother mentioned that a few times. She said "I feel like a 20 year old most of the time.... and then I try to get out of my chair".. yeah.. that's me too.

Heading for bed here..

No comments: