Wednesday, February 18, 2009



It's been 16 days since that groundhog tried to scare us out of our wits with a threat of 6 more weeks of winter.. He's been wrong so far.. seems like as soon as the prediction was made, the weather changed to more spring like and it's wonderful!!!

It's been a very long day here.. it was supposed to be our 'pool day', but I decided we'd better get started on our taxes.. and so I did. I started at around 8am and at 4pm I had about figured out the Federal taxes, and the PA taxes had me in total confusion. They don't send an instruction booklet out any more..well, that's not really the truth, they did send us a booklet, but with all the emphasis on filing electronically. Now, not everyone I know has a computer, and I really don't want to do this online. There were NO forms in my booklet..just a bunch of nonsense on how to file them elsewhere. I'm really not feeling well at the moment with all the headache I had all day. I get very frustrated with tax preparation, and realize how much I appreciated JJ doing them for us the past 2 years. She has no computer at the moment and I'm down to dial-up again for the moment.. so I feel frustrated. It makes me wonder how in the world an average person is able to complete the right forms? Mine isn't even hard.. but you have to have the right documentation. I struggled reading the book from the federal government.. I read it nearly cover to cover trying to find out what the standard mileage rate was for 2008. I finally threw my hands up in total disgust and went to the computer and googled it. There it was. But what if I didn't have a computer?

Yes, I could have it done by a professional.. but it's so expensive, and when one lives pretty much from paycheck to paycheck, there isn't a lot left to pay H&R Block the $200 they usually ask for. One year we tried another company and I was so horrified at the woman who did our taxes. I should have known we were in trouble when she sat cross legged in a tiny booth with us, chewing and cracking gum as she "worked". She saved us NOTHING and tossed most of our deductions. She charged us half of what Block did, but we got NOTHING back. At least with Block we usually got a refund. Never again.

I suppose I should get the numbers for the IRS and the PA-DOR and make some phone calls as I try to file these taxes. You know, a flat tax would be the most wonderful invention known to mankind.. or womankind as well. Our local taxes are just like that.. no added schedules.. just a flat rate according to one's earned income.

Maybe I should just drop it all for the day and go back to it next week. I can get another crochet project going and then just relax for a while.. SkipBo anyone?

No comments: