Sunday, April 04, 2010

Homonyms

Let's play a game.. the Homonym game. A homonym is a word that sounds like another word, but is spelled differently and has a different meaning. See if you can guess the right use of the words.

1. When I sold my tractor, I put an (ad-add) in the newspaper.

2. The hurricane came through the east and had horrific (affect-effect).

3. To slice tomatoes, one needs a (paring-pairing-pearing) knife.

4. You are not (aloud-allowed) to cross the road alone.

5. The boy left his gift on the (alter-altar).

6. The traffic accident was an (aweful-awful-offal) sight.

7. Farmers spend a lot of time (bailing-baling) hay.

8. The fox has a (borough- burrow) at the edge of the woods.

9. The sailor worked hard to mend the (breech-breach).

10. Let's go (to-too-two) the mall.

11. (Wear-where) did I leave my jacket?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am giving this to my 11 year old daughter and hoping my answers are correct :)!
1) ad
2) effect
3) paring
4) allowed
5) altar
6) awful
7) bailing
8) burrow
9) breach
10) to
11) where

Jemit said...

#7 is incorrect
The farmer makes hay bales, thus he is baling hay.

Anonymous said...

ARGH--I knew that!! Had baling written on my sheet--so much for my typing skills! :)