Saturday, November 03, 2007

90 DAYS TO GO!!!

90 DAYS
TO
RETIREMENT

Growing old gracefully is not one of my better things.. I'd likely do better if I just relaxed and took life with a grain of salt as it comes by. Alas, I've never been one who could just sit idly by and watch the world race on day to day to month to year..
It was a little over a year ago when I started my 'countdown' to retirement. Each day has gone by and I've noted each one.. moving ever so slowly but steadily toward my goal.
Many have asked "then what?" "what are you going to do once you don't have to be gainfully employed in the workforce? That's not quite true as I do plan to continue working in the office at least one day a week.. perhaps 2.
So what do I plan for this next segment of my life? I DO have some plans.

*Most people who know me, know that I'm a very family oriented person. I love every one of them and try to remind them of that as much as possible. So retirement will bring more time to enjoy them all.. lunches with my sister, playing with the local grandkids, and then making more frequent visits to my grandkids up on the NY border. Birthdays can be celebrated without just sending a package and making a phone call because of a work schedule.
Instead of trying to work in a day here or there for the local kids, I have plans to enjoy them on a more daily basis.. crafts and baking and of course Gramma Camps to come.

*Visiting.. oh, so many to visit! I'm anxious to get started. Hopefully gas prices won't hold us back. In addition to the grandkids up north, there are many other family members we'd like to see again.. Wendell's sister and brother.. family in California, and then my brother in Michigan, and family in Maryland..well, not blood related, but friends that are like family. Neither of us has the desire to just go on a vacation where we don't know anyone.. it's a family thing.
Nieces, nephews, and some others.. Oh, our calendar will be full for some time..
Aunt MaryJane, Uncle Bob, Uncle Babe.. family reunions, and just a lot of visiting.

Wendell wants to go to Soldiers and Sailors Hall to look up Civil War records for his family. We shall do that when the weather is good and we are ready to take up the family history again.
That's another thing.. family history. I've put it on a back burner for a few years, but need to get things sorted out again.. pictures need sorted and sent to those who would appreciate them.
I have thousands of pictures and volumes of history.

*Entertaining... one of my desires is to be able to entertain family and friends more often. We don't get to do that much, but I love to do it. I guess we need to have a place to have folks sleep over.. that would be such a delight.

*Another important part of my retirement is to be able to be in church EVERY week rather than every other week. It's frustrating to not be able to attend regularly.. especially when as I grow older, I seem to have so many ailments that pop up quickly.. and are slow to subside. One problem means no church for 3 weeks instead of the one that I'm having a problem with.
Health has been an issue for a few years now. Growing older brings health problems we never experienced before.. arthritis, asthma, GI problems, orthopedic difficulties.. just getting around becomes difficult by times.

*More time to sit down and read a book.. or take a nature walk.. exercise.. plan my days better..

These are just a few of the plans for retirement that I can think of off the top of my head.. I know there are so many more things I want to do... The office will tie me down for a little during the week, but I also have an assistant who is always more than willing to give me the time off I need.
This is one of the happiest times in my life.. the goal is within reach. Time is passing and I'm loving it!

1 comment:

Jthemilker said...

It all sounds lovely.
FYI - we are going to S&S Museum on Dec 1st. Remember?