Monday, July 07, 2008

Well, today is Monday and it's supposed to be a hot one. I am thankful for the air conditioning in the office. 85 is the expected high.. I guess summer is really here. Hard to believe Christmas is just 6 months away...
I don't normally do the office on a Monday. My biologics are shipped on ice and have to be kept refrigerated at all times, so having them shipped for a Monday means they sit in a truck in a warehouse Sunday night.. not good.
I arranged today's schedule for one patient. She is already late for her infusion because of an infection, but last week she said she was being treated, and so she wanted scheduled for this week. The problem is that her hubby is going into the hospital for major surgery (brain surgery), and she needed to be there for him on the days I had planned to infuse. So, one patient in one day is not cost effective for the office, and being the 'pushover' that I am, I scheduled her anyway and then started calling other patients to join her. I got 5 more to agree to Monday- today. Yesterday at lunch, I found a message on my cell phone from her that said she was still having infection problems, and would not be coming this week. Oh, for evermore. All the planning and calling and rearranging schedules, and now this. Well, there are 5 patients who need seen today and all were delighted to come in a few days earlier than usual.
Today I have to start the new plan of 2 days a week.. Tuesday and Thursday, and work from there. Reasonably, I can do 6 patients in the morning and 6 in the afternoon if I can arrange that. We'll start with the Thursday schedule and when it's full, move some to the Tuesday and keep on going.
I had 18 patients to see this week.. good thing we now have an infusion room.
All my patients today will be done before noon. The afternoon will be spent organizing and calling patients to change their schedules in the near future. I have several to do for next week, and then for the next couple of weeks there may have to be some changes also.
I'm learning. I've NEVER been good at scheduling, but in the old office, I could only schedule on Thursdays, so it wasn't a problem.
Pray for my patients this week.. no untoward events.. and for me that my skills in starting and running infusions would be at the peak. I always appreciate when you pray for us.

The end of the week we are planning a trip to NY to see the Valentines. Gayle and Esther have birthdays. We will be going carrying gifts.. and O2 tanks, and our belongings to stay for 4-5 days. Pray that gas prices will be stable as we travel. Our car gets exceptionally good mileage, but it's still a great expense.

I'm off to the office.. have a great day, bloggers, and keep cool!!!

No comments: