Wednesday, May 23, 2007

SUNNY AND 82 DEGREES

It's really 82 degrees at 7:30pm. Lovely. I find that my new AC works quite well. I hope it gets as many years as the one in the kitchen that lets me bake in the summer.
It's been a nice day.. easy going and pleasant. I had PT at 10am and got out around noon after doing all my exercises and then a few new ones. I enjoy exercise. I'm looking for the day I can just go out and walk for a few miles.

Wendell helped me with supper tonite. He peeled potatoes. My thumbs don't work well at that task, so in order to have supper, he's gotta help a bit. He did a good job. We had German pancakes (Latkes).. and cole slaw..
Delicious and just enough. Dessert was strawberry tin roof shortcake. I made real shortcake for this and then discovered after the berries were ready that I had only a small dollop of Cool Whip. So we improvised with a couple tablespoons of Tin Roof Sundae ice cream (Turkey Hill, of course.. ) It was surprisingly good. The shortcake was perfect. I don't care much for the little sponge cakes at the grocery- to me they taste rather like a sponge and the texture is definitely sponge.

I believe I was still in high school when I made strawberry shortcake for dessert one evening. They came out beautiful.. golden and perfect.... but for one small detail- I had used baking soda instead of baking powder.. and I think perhaps a tablespoon instead of teaspoon... Poor Dad took a big bite and nearly choked on it.. "Are you trying to poison me?", he sputtered.... I couldn't imagine what he was referring to until I tasted the elegant dessert I'd prepared and spit mine out too... Yecchhhh !!!!! I believe we had plain berries that night.. hehehe...
Thankfully I'm a better cook these days.

When Paul went to school at Ohio Diesel, he shared an apartment with his friend Mike. I made Paul a booklet to help them cook their own meals. They did okay except for the rigatoni they made one evening. The sauce was perfect, but you gotta cook the rigatoni before you put it in the sauce.
I wish I knew what happened to that notebook.. it had things like: sour cream is not cream that has gone sour.. and of course by my own experience, baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable.
There were others too.. a fun book to look back at and have a good laugh.

I'm having my last cup of coffee for the day.. after dinner coffee. It's nothing special.. Folgers .. my favorite all time coffee. I don't drink coffee as a rule after 8pm or I don't sleep well. I love it in the morning to get me going. Speaking of morning.. it will be here soon.. I have to be up and on my toes early tomorrow for the office. I love going there and doing my infusions with the patients. They are like a branch of my own family. They know me well and I know them too..and about their families. It's the most pleasant employment I've ever had.

So... I'm off to get myself ready for bed. Have a wonderful day tomorrow bloggers.. The sun should shine brightly and the temperature should be about 85 degrees.


*

No comments: