Thursday, October 22, 2009

Another Thursday has come and is almost gone.. office today was very good though my back was really bad toward the end. It was a lovely day weather-wise.. warm, sunny, and the leaves are so pretty this year. It amazes me that some trees are bare of leaves and others still have a full head of green.

The egg count this afternoon is 8. I've got about 2 dozen again.

Tomorrow is Foto Friday. I'm very much enjoying this project and I think it is helping me capture better pictures. The topic this week is Berries. How fortunate for us that our red raspberries are still putting out fruit. .. John and Mandy got some super shots of them, but then, they have a really fabulous camera too. I'm anxious to see what else they are going to post.. and of course what everyone else will post too!
I'll be putting mine up tonite on my blog, but won't connect till tomorrow.
I would encourage everyone to try their hand at Foto Friday.. it's so very simple.
You will need a blog..
You need pictures on your blog
then you link to Renaissance's MckLinky on her site.
Once you have linked with her blog, take a look at what everyone else has linked in. I'm amazed at how creative people really are.
You don't need to be acquainted with the host.. just join in and we'll all get to know you through your blog.
I like doing this.. Rebecca makes very constructive critique if you wish. She is an expert at photography. Don't let the expert part hold you back though.. it's really a bonus!
At the moment there are about 11-12 of us who are doing the Foto Friday. So, jump right in and if you have questions, just ask!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

You should put a "link" in to her blog. Do this by simply typing in her whole address: zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com and then it will be a different shade and people can click on it and go straight to her blog from yours. (you probably knew that didnt you?)

I liked all the photos...even the cackleberries..HA!

Peggy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love the pictures of the "cackleberries"! Growing up that is what my dad called them when he was feeling quirky!! He was a cook in the military for 20 years and handled literally thousands upon thousands of eggs!

What variety of chickens do you have? We just slaughtered our small flock as they had quit producing. I must say I miss the ladies but it was just so cost prohibitive to keep chickens during the winter in Alaska. Last winter we did a cost analysis and discovered our eggs cost approximately $8 a dozen.. Trust me, there was a little chest clutching going on at that time!! However, after my hubby retires of active duty and we move to the farm. Well, we will be back to "farm" fresh eggs!

How big is your flock? How do you house them? What about feed? I've only had chickens in Alaska so I am curious to how those in the lower 48 keep them!

Sorry for being so nosey... but I just can't help being curious. It was something my mom always teased me about when I was young. And I know you know the saying "Curiosity killed the cat" but Dad taught me the rest when I was young...

"but satisfaction brought him back!"

Take care and I look forward to your post next week!

Jemit said...

->Peggy..
You are very welcome! Our chickens numbered around 40 until we gave 20 away a couple weeks ago.
They are White Leghorns, Buff Orpingtons, and another variety that escapes me.. they are black and white striped.. interesting.
We have a small chicken coop where they like to roost at night. We keep their feed inside there too. They have access to about 8 nesting boxes, but choose only 3 of them..go figure!? We do feed them commercially grown feed and cracked corn, but they also get the table scraps, and of course, they free range all day too. Keeps the insect population down in the garden ya know? They get all the damaged veggies and fruits.
In the winter, they get day old bread from the "thrifty" bakery as well as their commercial feed and table scraps. It seems to keep them going, and encourages us to eat veggies and salads..:)
We also discovered that they LOVE pasta and rice..strange creatures, eh?
They get fresh water by bucket daily.
Since we are doing demolition on the old trailer, they have been roosting there and eating the insulation. They seem to have a taste for it for some strange reason. It hasn't hurt them a bit, eggs don't float ... just odd.
Our chickens don't stop laying in the winter even in sub zero temps. I have to say that they do cut back substantially, but we always have 1-6 or whatever. Right now with 20 hens and all the stress they have been experiencing, they still give me 6-8 eggs (cackleberries)/day.
I can't imagine paying $8 a dozen for the eggs there in Alaska. What do you feed your chickens? What kind do you have..? Now I'm being the nosey one.
One other thing they get fed is eggs in the shell when feed is low. Charlie buys a big bag of rice and cooks it up so it's soft.. then he smashed eggs into it.. not cooked.. just gooey eggs with bits of shell. The chickens LOVE this... and it's a healthy meal for them.