Saturday, July 25, 2009

not a happy camper


I suppose I should mention that we did not get to go to our picnic today. I'd gone to have pictures made to share with the folks there, and then this morning woke up with thrush. The doctor on call called in a script for Mycelex lozenges to treat it. I went to the pharmacy and was glad to know that my copay was all that was needed. Next on the agenda was grocery shopping for a veggie tray for the picnic. I coughed the entire way around the grocery store, and was short of breath by the time I got to the check out line. This asthma is sensitive to any kind of exercise.. I was in a hurry and thus coughed the entire time. It was embarrassing to have people staring at me like I had the 'plague'.. I wanted to scream at them "I'M NOT CONTAGIOUS!!" Fortunately I didn't have enough breath, so I just checked out as fast as possible.
I called our friend to tell her about my problem and to say that there was a good possibility that we wouldn't be there for the picnic. She was understanding. I figure there is a fellowship dinner at our church tomorrow and my cupcakes at least will get taken in for that... provided I can get myself ready for church without having a major breathing problem. I can't be sure of anything with this asthma.
I again remind myself that I always hated taking care of asthmatics and diabetics.. and to be the asthmatic now and have my hubby as the diabetic seems just so unfair..don't you think?
Neither of these kinds of patients can be trusted to be stable for any length of time. They tend to be fine one moment and either gasping or in shock the next.. just not my favorite patient assignment.
I had to lay down this afternoon and when I awoke it was supper time and raining. We decided not to try to go to the picnic.. I was wheezing and coughing pretty hard anyway.

No comments: