Sunday, January 09, 2011

Menagerie

We have owls. I know this, because I talk to them most nights when I go out to check on Thomas' water dish which is normally frozen and needs a refill. It is curious to me that they 'talk' back. I try to mimic their hoots and then they come closer. I usually can't see them, though some early mornings, I see them fly between trees ~ an awesome sight. They are fearfully and perfectly made.
Wendell and I have noted that the deer are perhaps less active, but they are still about our home. The tracks are unmistakeable. They have an area under the big oak tree all stomped down as if they held a party the night before. It makes a difference when there is snow. I have a small bowl of birdseed on the little hutch behind the house, and it's kind of humorous to watch the deer come up to the hutch, take a step up on a board, and feed there. Food must be scarce.
Not only that, but Thomas has been up there too. Wendell spotted him this morning atop the hutch seemingly feeding at the dish I'd put out yesterday with bacon fat laden with bird seed. Thomas *loves* birds!

I guess he had every right to dip into the bird feed, as they are constantly flying onto the back porch and down inside his shelter to eat his cat food. ! Animals are funny. This brings back the memory of down at the farm (Blairsdale) when I was feeding the animals.. the chickens ate the dog feed, the dogs ate the cat feed, and the cats ate the chicken mash. Talk about confused! No point in trying to stop them.. they are animals and do what they please as long as their tummies were full.



No comments: