Wednesday, August 01, 2007

THE ALLERGIST

I had a visit to the Otolaryngologist, AKA allergist today. He was very helpful. Yesterday I had to walk out to my car while the grass was being mowed, and promptly lost my voice.. it's coming back slowly but surely. I'm very allergic to grass obviously. Most people would have to be tested to determine that simple fact.. but I only get the severe reaction when grass is actually actively being mowed.. it's much less if it's just freshly cut and there is nothing flying in the air. So it's a nuisance allergy- one that I wish I didn't have, but know that I'm going to have to deal with.
The doctor gave me an inhaler for the wheezing and steroids to take when I have the more severe reactions. The Epi Pen is a bad idea for me- I react with severe hypotension in the dentist's chair if they use the novocaine with the epinephrine. On several occasions, the procedures have had to be cancelled and I ended up in Trendelenberg position (head down, feet up) till my color came back and my blood pressure came up when the doctors thought they could just slip me a dose of the offending drug. It causes the staff to have a little high blood pressure too- to witness this situation. Nothing short of scary for sure.
I'm doing better today anyway, but I got the prescriptions and am ready if it happens again- which, undoubtedly, it will.
Lots to do today.. have a really wonderful one.. stay cool- it's supposed to be 92 degrees today! Woohoo!
Hello summer!

No comments: