Thursday, August 09, 2007

WORST WEATHER IN HISTORY?

Ranting again.....
The headlines read "worst weather in history".. I don't think so. I can remember way back in the dark ages when I was a child.. we had snow in winter that piled up over 5-6 feet high and the temperatures at the bus stop were below zero for weeks at a time. I also can remember very long and very hot summers.. much as we are experiencing now. I remember about 30 years ago having snow melting along the road into late June.
Rain and flooding? It depended upon where you lived. We never had any problem in Upper Burrell where I grew up. Nor do we have that problem here where I now live. When Wendell and I lived in Texas, we had snow flurries one morning- it paralyzed the city where we lived. How we laughed at that nonsense. But it was a good thing because many had never experienced driving on snow covered roads. Floods? Now that was something they all understood- but it was the streets that flooded to capacity like nothing I'd ever seen before, but THEY took it all in stride. I guess it's all in what you have lived with all your life. I do remember living there that we were invaded by crickets.. everywhere you stepped.. crunch, crunch, crunch.. no way to avoid the little creatures.
Looking at the pictures of people trying to drive in axle deep water in NYC.. makes me wonder about them- why would one even attempt that? Stay home and be safe. I understand the need for going to work- I work in health care and have to be there too- but not at risk to life and limb. They had a little tornado. I feel for them. We had a BIG tornado come through here in 1985- yes, it was scary. And I 'm not belittling their problem.. just saying .. when there is bad weather and trees down and there's been a tornado no matter how big- stay home and take care of your family and yourself. Help your neighbor. When all is taken care of, then go back to the job and be thankful.

No comments: