Thursday, August 30, 2007

WALKING THE PERIMETER

This afternoon I took a walk around the perimeter. It was relaxing for the most part. I saw lots of bugs everywhere, but none that would even give me a second look. (something for which to be thankful).
PEST CONTROL

Charlie's chickens are always going up and down the rows in the garden.
They provide quite the service here, eating as many bugs and grubs as
they can find. They are efficient pest control.


I noticed this pest control too. At some point in time, a wasp stung and paralyzed this tomato caterpiller and then layed her eggs in the skin of the worm. When the baby wasps hatch, they have an instant food source. Disgusting to me, but , hey.. it's natural pest control.


DROOPY SUNFLOWER
Do you ever feel like this? Ever feel like you can't stand up and face the world again?
Hehehehehehehehe
I had this feeling of sadness when I took this picture of the sad sunflower.
I had to go on to the more perky ones to feel better.


The red raspberries are about done for the first round, but as you can see, the second round is well on it's way. These are everbearing red raspberries.. sweet and delicious.


There are at least 2 apple trees in the yard. These are, I believe, Grimes Golden Delicious.
They won't be ready till after the first frost, but the tree is really loaded.


Awwwwww.... isn't this just the most beautiful and perfect zinnia?


Yesterday morning I went out at daybreak thinking I'd see the full moon.. what I did see was that my Mountain Laurel is blooming again. Silly thing!


Of course no walk around the perimeter would be complete without stopping to see the progress of the big ol' hornet nest. I believe 3 cans of hornet spray went inside the hole now.. and it hasn't deterred them at all. Live and well and hornets all over it! I noticed it's growing bigger too.


Standing on the edge of the garden looking west.. this is a long row of pumpkins growing here. The pumpkins at the moment are about the size of baseballs.. there are lots of them!


I can't look at the cosmos without stating the fact that these were my Dad's favorite flower.
They are so delicate and beautiful.


In front is a row of green peppers. Behind them in cages are the tomato plants.


The stately sunflowers.. WOW! They tower over me..


I believe this is Hibiscus.. the huge blossoms are as big around as a dinner plate.


I love the nearly fluorescent red of this zinnia



Zucchinis.. yummy!!!


On the picnic table sets 2 pots of salad tomatoes. We pick them every day, and every day there are more and more tomatoes ready.. so sweet and yummy!


Every time I see this flower I have to ask Mandy what it is.. it's a daisy, but I'm not sure what kind of daisy. It is startling in the tire out by the road. A real eye catcher.

No comments: