Sunday, February 04, 2007

5AM-5 DEGREES

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! It's cold here. I woke up shivering.. I quickly put on a pot of hot coffee and now am seated in front of a little space heater with my first cup. Whew! 5 degrees is cold. I could use a good dose of global warming about now. I cringe when I think that the high is going all the way to 8 today.
When the wind blows, we are warned that the wind chill will dip to -20. Certainly not my favorite kind of weather.. and it's gonna be here till at least Tuesday this week. So bundle up.. wear layers of clothing and hat/gloves when you go outside. Frostbite is not nice.
Charlie will not be in church today. He'll be up all night likely .. every couple hours to check on 'the girls' to make sure they are warm enough. I believe he insulated the henhouse, but these temps are a bit much for that little building. He and Wendell went out yesterday and put a new light bulb in the well pit too. It's also insulated and the lightbulb makes enough heat to keep the water from freezing. We may have to break down and turn some heat on in the living room. We've held off for all this time, but I think it's gonna be a necessity today and at least part of the week.
It was fairly quiet at work last evening. I did okay. It was busy... but only 2 admissions all evening. It was kind of nice to be back after being off with my cold/sinusitis last week. I can't say that was pleasant days off.
Normally I wouldn't call off work over something so insignificant as a cold, but this one really made me feel ill.
Fever, body aches, and chills lasted for a long time. I'm finding that the older I get, the harder these things are on me and the slower I recuperate. I was pretty stuffed up by the time I got home. Headache plagued me and my back too. I held off taking anything for it till I got home so that I could take something stronger and sleep.
It is peculiar to me that when I'm working at the hospital, I always end up very stuffy by the end of the evening. I think it's likely where I picked up the cold. I found myself using the hand wash more than frequently all evening. I became anal about it and made a point of using it every time I got up from my desk for any reason. Well, it's there to sanitize hands.. and I did.
Wendell says he'll take me to work today and pick me up tonite. He needs the car. I don't know if he'll make it to church or not. He hates to be in the car when his GI tract decides it's time for a visit to the BR. It just won't take 'in a minute' for an answer. Though it has slowed down with medication for the past 2 days, it hasn't gone away. He had his sonar yesterday. They told him he was early for his appointment which was scheduled at 10:30. I know that because I wrote it on the top of his order sheet along with the date when I made that appointment so there wouldn't be a problem. They decided to change his time to 2:30pm, but didn't bother to tell us about it. We never would have agreed, as I had to be at the hospital at that time for the evening. They finally agreed that since he was there, they'd do it. I guess so. Someone really should get that scheduling department straightened out. We did get a reminder call that simply said 'this is B***** Hospital Scheduling. You have an appointment scheduled and need to bring your order and insurance card.' I thought it unusual that they didn't mention the day and the time and where he should go when he got there. I mentioned that to Wendell and listened to the message again to make sure.
One way or another, I'll get the results by Monday.
I need to refill my coffee cup.. it's getting nice and toasty here in the bedroom. Perhaps it's time to go back to bed.
Have a wonderful day.. Pray for us.

No comments: