Tuesday, February 13, 2007

NOT SOON ENOUGH

Retirement can't come soon enough for me. I'm awake at 4am thinking about the storm to come. Praying over the storm to come. Trusting that it won't be as bad as anticipated, and yet praying that the hospital will not find my services necessary today and give me the day off. I'm the 'extra' secretary today. We havent' had the need for one in the past several months, but it's my turn again to take that spot.
If there is one reason to be retired, it's so that I don't have to drive in the winter again. It's many times a nightmarish experience. I don't like it one bit.

It's 25 degrees at the moment. Yesterday seemed actually warm considering the deep freeze we have experienced lately. The big storm is to move in this morning and keep on till Wednesday evening before the snow is done. The officials say we should have up to 6-10" before Wednesday night. Traveling is discouraged on Tuesday- today.
I know I've said it many times before, but February is always the worst winter month. It's true this winter for sure. I should be retired before the next one hits. It made me think of my mother and how she always said that her dad claimed that if you could make it through February, you'd likely make it the rest of the year. That was before icy roads filled with terrified drivers entered the picture. I think he was in reference to pneumonia and influenza.
One could almost figure on having all the winter in one month, noting we had really no winter November through January. Perhaps this storm will be the end of it. I'll be praying for that.

1 comment:

Jane said...

What Grampa Best actually said was that if he made it through March he guessed he'd live another year. He passed away in March just before my 3rd birthday. Of course if he had made it through March he would have also made it through February...