Saturday, February 03, 2007

WINTER

The thing that is on my mind this morning is how cold it is and how cold it's gonna get tonite. It's 7 degrees right now. It may get to 19 before the Arctic Chill arrives tonite. There are advisories out for anyone who has to be outside this evening. The wind chill is to reach between -10 and -20 degrees. Now, that's cold. For those of you who love winter.. this should make your day. As for me, I'm biding the time till spring.
So much for global warming. I don't think there really is such a thing in that even scientists can't agree on the issue. I can remember as a child going out to wait for the school bus in the morning when it was below zero. On those days we were permitted to wear slacks to school. No blue jeans, just dress slacks, and those were usually worn under the skirt or dress and removed once we got to school.
We had lots of snow then, sort of like 4 years ago when we had 2-3 feet in the front yard. I also remember when our children were small and we lived down at the farm. Getting from the main road to the house often had us walking, as the road was impassable. Those days we took sleds up to the top of the hill and left them there to carry children and groceries later when we returned. We tied large boxes on them and it made life just a little more simple.. the drifting in the driveway was sometimes 4 feet.
It occurs to me that God never promised all winters to be mild or severe, but he promised that we would have winter in it's season. I've lived through all kinds of winters.. I could not be convinced that the change of tenths or hundredths of a degree in the ocean temperature is an indication of peril to our planet. Yes, we have some violent weather.. it's been here before and will come again. This is life.
As for me, I am thankful and praise God for giving us the long stretch of mild winter that we had. February is always the worst winter month. It is so today.

Today Wendell will have his sonar of the gall bladder. His appointment is 10:30 this morning. It will be interesting to see what it shows.
I am gainfully employed again today. The hospital awaits my presence later today. Check out my ticker at the top of the blog.. the days are passing..I mentioned that to Wendell last night. The ticker is an encouragement to me. Each day another day disappears and I'm one day closer to retirement. Amen.

Stay warm. Don't go out without your gloves and a hat.. wear layers and don't get frostbitten.

No comments: