Thursday, February 15, 2007

SHOOT THE GROUNDHOG?

Seems like no sooner did Phil make his legendary prediction of early spring, than we were plunged into late winter that came with a vengence. Oh, brother.. 5 degrees, and there is a fresh dusting of snow out there. I've canceled the majority of my AM patients this morning, and provided I can get into the office, there are 3 of them 'on call' to come in this morning pending when I can get there myself. I left the afternoon session in place. Lots of 'ifs' here.

Yesterday I went out and thawed out my car. It took over an hour of running the engine and a lot of digging and scraping to remove the better than 1/4" of ice that was encasing it. The wiper blades had over an inch of solid ice frozen to them. I am hoping I don't have to repeat that this morning. The wind chill is absurd- 10-15 below zero and frostbite weather.
Another neighbor came just after dark last night and plowed us out again- this time with a highlift. I don't know who it was.. Nick uses a blade on his truck. Thank you, whoever you are.

I woke up feeling chilled this morning even though I was bundled in my nice warm comforter. I got up and turned on the little heater I'd bought just recently to take the chill off the bedroom. It works well. I've heated up some leftover coffee from last night and feel a bit warmer now.

An email from Jane yesterday brought encouraging news. She'd had a phone call from Aunt MaryJane who is finally improving after this long seige of recovering from some sores on her feet and back surgery. All her faculties were in good working condition, and perhaps this is the turn of events that will take her back home soon. She told Jane she'd spoken with Aunt MaryAnn who reported to her that Uncle Bob was doing well after his amputation this week. He's in good spirits and looking to his future with a positive attitude that is so necessary for recuperation. He's getting back to his old self again. For these things, I thank the Lord, and praise Him for his tender mercy toward my family.
Wendell and I were in church this past week. Janet was able to be back with us. How very wonderful it was to see her. She is finally on the mend. Sometimes it is so hard to be patient while our family and loved ones are healing. We tend to want good results now.
Wendell is also in a period of remission from his GI problems.. very cautiously,he's adding foods to his diet. Last night he had beef pot roast and a baked potato. So far, so good.
Now is not the time to stop praying for these folks.. keep it up. Prayer is effectual, and this is so obvious to us.
They are on the mend, but still have a way to go. Praise the Lord for his love for us and continued healing.
This morning I'm also praying, as I always do, for my patients. I pray they will arrive safely for their treatments and that it will be effectual for each one of them, and that there will be no 'reactions' or side effects to the treatment.
I'll be heading out as soon as I am sure the office will be open today- it's been closed for 2 days.

Great Value and Peter Pan Peanut Butter are on the recall.. I heard that just a few minutes ago on the radio.. it's apparently tainted and people have become ill. Check out your PB..

Stay warm, bloggers.. Smile and enjoy the day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the weather out there. It may be a little difficult to find the groundhog now.

Love you,
Andrew