Monday, April 23, 2007

HAWK ALERT


I went out for a short walk today.. up to check on my asparagus patch.. there is one lonely little spear popped up through the ground about the size of my thumb. Oh, boy, asparagus season has begun !!!
On my way back to the house I noticed Charlie's girls .. everywhere.. pecking away happily at whatever they see that looks tasty. My attention was diverted to my path and the distance to the house when I suddenly noticed there were no chickens to be seen anywhere.. I looked and looked, but not one was out looking for lunch at that moment. It was as if they had vanished from the face of the earth.
Then I saw the ominous shadows.. 2 huge hawks soaring overhead. Well, no wonder the little girls took cover.. they were about to become lunch for someone else. Their sense of danger had caused them to take shelter under the forsythia bush in the yard..

Such beautiful creatures hawks are. They soar quietly through the sky mostly unseen till they get close by. These ones I saw today were very low and had huge wing spans.. it looked like about 6 feet from wing to wing. WOW! And you have to admire these birds for their stealth and beauty as they fly.
I stood in the middle of the yard watching what was going to happen.. but perhaps they saw me too and decided not to tangle with me, though I'm sure they would if they were hungry enough. Their circles got wider until I couldn't see them any more. Interesting morning.

No comments: