Thursday, April 26, 2007

SPRING HAS REALLY SPRUNG !!

I decided to take a walk outside today.. while I was out there was a tornado watch issued for Butler County..
The air was heavy and the sky is no longer blue, but big dark rolling clouds are everywhere..



That didn't deter me from my appointed walk, however.. I was anxious to see what was out there in the yard and in the garden.. I wasn't disappointed.


Oh, look!!! The first thing I spotted in the front yard was dandelions just getting started.. Oh.. the kids are gonna love these.. they always do. But wait........ the neighbor across the road from us has a bajillion of them.. we have just a handful. I guess it's because they mow their grass twice a week?


The next thing I spotted was a little bunch of violets.. oh, sweet violets.. lots of memories of my Dad sitting in the yard picking a bouquet for my Mom.. so precious. Charlie came by in his car and waved me over, opened the door and said "Get in- I have something to show you.".. So I did. He took me to White's where another adventure awaited...


He's turned the sunroom into a nursery.. WOW! Onions, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and all sorts of plants here all thriving in the warmth of the sun. He's been busy. But wait! There was more...


He's got 10 day old chicks here too.. and they are cute as little buttons! At least 8 out of 12 are female for sure..He fed them a pan of hard boiled egg yolks.. they jumped on them and gobbled them down quickly.
We had a nice little visit, and then back to home again where I finished my walk...


On the upper side of the garden grows this bush.. I'm not sure what it's called, but it gets these orange blossoms on it and then little orange berries later.. Very pretty.. Watch out for the thorns!


Again, just above the garden is the Redbud tree.. it's blossoming.. and so encouraging and beautiful. Note how dark it is.. lots of dark clouds rolling by..


At the lower end of the garden is the peach tree(s).. They too are in blossom. Let's hope that there is no frost to nip them. My Mom planted these trees from seeds years ago. We thought there was just one tree, but actually there are numerous ones. She must have planted 6 seeds together and they all germinated. In July, we get peaches and then in August again we get peaches from this cluster of trees.


Up on the side of the garden is the Bridal Wreath.. a favorite of all of us. It's dainty white flowers make any bouquet ever so elegant.. and the greenery it puts out later is also used in many bouquets.


Along the driveway is one of a couple of Cinnamon bushes. This is one of my personal favorites. If you get down and smell the flowers, they really do smell like cinnamon... a very sweet smelling bush.


And the tulips !!!!!! Oh, so beautiful !!


In the yard are a bunch of grape hyacinths- they come up every year without any encouragement from me.
They are a tiny and delicate flower.
That's about it.. lots of beautiful plants coming to life out there....... Next time... lilacs !! I noticed they are in bud.

1 comment:

Jthemilker said...

I'm tagging you for a Me-Me: http://jthemilker.blogspot.com/2007/04/7-me-me.html