Sunday, December 07, 2008

Christmas:celebrate or not?

Around this time every year, I am reminded that our Christmas (or Christ Mass) is not really a Christian holiday (holy day). It's a time when I get to thinking that perhaps our 'traditions' need to be culled.

Tonite I read a blog about Christmas- should Christians be a part of it? The answer is an overwhelming NO!

Now, I don't even consider Christmas as a holy day or a day remotely related to the church. Nowhere in scripture are we ever commanded or suggested to celebrate the birth of our savior. We are, however, commanded to celebrate his death and resurrection.- Communion, or the Lord's Supper, celebrates the Lord's death until He returns.

I do think Christmas is a civic holiday. I may be wrong about that.. I'm sure someone will correct me. It needs another name.. I have to admit that calling this season "Christ mass" leaves me a bit unnerved.
I suppose it's relationship (or lack of) to scripture, and the fact that it's a man made holiday in that direction that makes one stop and think. There are 10 civic holidays celebrated in these United States..
New Years Day
Martin Luther King birthday
Washington birthday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Independence Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

Most of the traditional items or symbols of Christmas are pagan in origin. I'm not a pagan, and I don't worship the symbols either. Wendell and I have wedding bands we exchanged at our marriage ceremony.. a pagan tradition..sometimes with supernatural claims to it, but again, we aren't pagan and these rings have our own significance to us.

We do have a beautiful tree.. faux pine.. We don't worship it, nor do we worship under it. We don't even consider it a fertility symbol..
For me, it brings inside some of the earlier part of the season when there wasn't snow ... it's pleasing to the eye, not garish or outlandish... just pretty.. and makes me smile. It's an emotional thing I suppose.. but never have I ever considered worship with it.. or that it should be included in worship in the church.

Giving gifts? That's rooted in the Roman festivals.. and the gifts weren't biggies.. twigs and rabbit's feet, jewelry, and statues of gods... I don't celebrate the Roman festival rites.. But, I do love to give gifts. I do so monthly to my grandchildren in the form of 'Treat of the Month'.. and the children look forward to it. I give the little treats .. just because.
Granted, at birthdays and Christmas season, the gifts are a little larger.. but I don't overdo the budget.. indeed, I make a savings for just this project.
For me, giving gifts is a pleasure. I likely get as much pleasure giving as in receiving.. Another emotional thing.. but at this time of year with 'seasonal affect disorder' all around me and including me, it's a blessing..

Santa? Never. I've never let my children believe in this deceiver.

Singing Christmas carols? yes.. I enjoy them and other music too..

Hanging of the greens? Only if someone gives them to me.. no big deal here.

Mistletoe.. a druid rite.. I don't participate

Stockings? Oh, yeah.. many a wonderful memory is had of hanging my biggest sock on the door.. (we had no fireplace then).. and in the morning my folks would have placed all sorts of nuts, candies, and a big orange or apple in the toe! Yeah.. I love this

Roasted boar's head? You must be kidding... not me

Nativity scene? No.. I don't really see Christmas as related to it. That doesn't mean I don't believe Christ wasn't born in a stable and placed in a manger.. but I don't really associate it with Christmas.. No nativity here.

Christ's birthday? Afraid not.. theologians agree his birth was mid summer, not Dec 25th.. but that date was the date of a pagan god's birth.. I don't associate that date with the pagan belief.. It's a date.. like Thanksgiving- the last Thursday in November.. or Veteran's Day.. November 11.


Here is a blog with the discussion of why we as Christians should not celebrate this 'holy day'. This man has a very easy to read blog, and is direct and to the point.

And another one from a former RP pastor..

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you celebrate Christmas and what are your traditions surrounding it?

No comments: