Monday, March 16, 2009

How have you asked God for his protection?

O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer!
From the ends of the earth, I will cry to you for help, for my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.
Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!
Psalm 61:1-4 NLT

A request for protection
As the commander of Israel's armies, David was an expert at analyzing an enemy's defenses and planning fortifications.
Under David's leadership, the strong fortress of Zion (later called Jerusalem) was captured from the Jebusites.
And after he captured it, David oversaw the building of additional fortifications around Zion (2 Samuel 5:6-10).
But David didn't place his trust in the fortress he had built.
He knew God was his true "towering rock of safety."
There was no safer refuge than the Lord's sanctuary—the presence of the Almighty.
Although we might not realize it, we are just as vulnerable as King David was.
We need to be led to God's rock of safety.
Run to the Almighty in prayer and trust in him to keep you safe.

Prayer for today:
O God, lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge…

from The One Year Book of Bible Prayers edited by Bruce Barton, Tyndale House Publishers (2000), entry for February 5

No comments: