Thursday, March 05, 2009

Spring has sprung!!! No question here.. I LOVE spring !!!!!! Right now we have 51 degrees and cloudy.. tonite will drop to 42, and then 60* on Friday !!! WOOHOO!!! Are you ready?!
This weekend clocks get adjusted.. We 'spring' forward losing an hour of sleep. Lovin' it here.

I saw 9 patients today.. all one jag apiece. I felt soooo happy.. same thing this Tuesday with 10 patients. And NO events! Happy day. Not that we have 'events' routinely, we don't. But I'm always aware that at any time someone can have an infusion reaction.
Most of them are mild.. occasionally someone will have shaking chills... chest pain.... and in 7 years, I've had 2 people pass out.. 2 develop hives.. and have called 911 twice, but one was not infusion related at all. Just a patient who came in for her infusion and mentioned she'd been feeling 'funny'.. I couldn't get a BP, and her pulse was 220 ish. Yeah.. not an infusion thing at all, but definitely reason to call 911.
I had to smile today when one relatively new 80 yr old patient came in and after I taped down her IV she looked at me squarely and said "Marilyn, you really are good".. made me chuckle.
I thank the Lord for giving me this skill. I have known for all my working years that I had it. I can't explain it, it's sort of like threading a worm on a fishhook. Except real people are involved here, and the goal is one painless jag. I meet that goal with God's help at least 90% of the time. My percentage goes up to about 99% if you leave out the 'painless' part. Sometimes you just can't avoid the 'pinch'.
I pray often before actually inserting a needle under the skin, and always utter 'thank you, Lord' after. I don't know how most patients feel about this, but I owe gratitude to my Lord who guides my hands with each needle.

Tonite I'm achy, but not like Tuesday after the office. I think weather has a LOT to do with the back pain and spasms. Wendell and I went to the Y and did an hours worth of exercise on Wednesday. I still hurt when I got out and even after the hot tub. This morning I felt nearly healed and it hasn't been too bad tonite.. I'm walking without pain at least.. and not whining like I did before.

Have a lovely evening, Bloggers.. I'm gonna try to do the same..

No comments: