Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Just sayin...

I'm trying to clean up some old jackets that came from the 'big' house next door. They seemed dusty and musty, so I popped them into the washer. I'm very stuffy.. I stepped outdoors and sat down on a chair..
It's about 30* outside and dry. The night air is so clear and clean .. and it's quiet. That quiet was broken by the sounds of sirens in the distance. Fire sirens.. I could hear the sounds moving as they went to their intended destination.. but the one at the firehall was still whining..
It made me cringe as I thought of someone's home burning. Losing all their earthly possessions and maybe even lives. It brought back the memory of the day I caught the woods behind us on fire and how horrific that was.. how frightened it made me.. and how thankful I was for those 2 fire companies that answered my 911 call.. and 7 fire trucks that came .. and those incredible firemen/women. It reminded me of how close that fire came to our home. I pray whoever called for help tonite will not have major damage and that they are all safe.
Funny how little things come back to mind.. that day I remember one of the women firefighters sitting beside me consoling me as I sat sobbing- full of the guilt and pain of my stupidity. She was very kind. I also remember Keith bringing me a cool drink from Starbucks. I don't remember what it was- maybe coffee.. but I remember he brought it to me and how much I appreciated that little kindness when I was shaking so.
I don't burn papers without permission- I don't trust my own judgement - I always check with someone else to verify if it's a good burning day. And I don't leave the fire. Nor do I turn my back on it.. even if it's a calm and rainy day. I have more respect for fire nowadays.

No comments: