Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Getting into Perspective

I'm trying to get a trillion dollars into perspective.. It's a number that congress and the rest of the world seems to toss around as if it really meant something to anyone.
The number one trillion looks like this: 1, 000,000, 000, 000. Staggering , eh? And yet, our government is spending this much as if it was water.
Wait a second... it would take 31,710 years if you did it for 1 trillion seconds.. whoa.. that's a long time. My supper could get cold by then.
One trillion is one million million, right? uh... does it really matter?
If you placed dollar bills end to end, it would stretch the distance to the moon and back 200 times!
Well, let's see.. if I could spend $750,000 twice a day, every day, for 200 years, I'd be halfway to a trillion.. I don't think I have the time..
It would take 30 years to spend a trillion dollars at the rate of $1000 per second..
A stack of dollar bills equaling a trillion would reach 55 thousand miles high!

Now, what was it that I was doing before I started looking for this useless information? OH, yes.. I wanted to balance the checkbook.. uh.. it's not much.. I could use an inch or two of those bills..or perhaps 4-5 pounds of those bills.
It amazes me that the government spends this amount of money daily.. perhaps to stimulate the economy, they should scrap that idea and just give a million to all the people living in the country.. Now, there's a stimulus, and everyone would be happy!
We'd still have our country and the government could give up all the welfare programs they have planned. Who would need it?

No comments: