Saturday, November 22, 2008


It's this coming week.. boy it's coming fast.. and then 4 weeks later is Christmas! Anyone out there have their shopping done already?
It's going to be a lean one this year.. but all will be remembered for sure. I'm thankful for this time of year.. I do love holidays.
Rebel that I am, I will continue to wish others a Merry Christmas no matter what others think is politically correct. Tradition rules here.
All in all, the holidays bring back many treasured memories of my own childhood and the fun we had growing up.. how Dad got our tree on Christmas eve every year, and it was nearly always a nice one.. and then we'd go to bed and in the morning we'd wake up to a decorated tree and gifts.. not expensive ones.. but loved ones. I can remember getting new socks and clothes.. and then usually something I'd really wished for.. like my Tiny Tears doll.. that's an unforgettable one. What ever happened to her is beyond me. I know that she was used in a Christmas pageant one year.. and then I lost track. Alas!
The tree stayed up until New Years... and then was taken outside again..
Here at our house, the tree goes up right after Thanksgiving and stays up till the New Year and then some.. it does make things seem more festive.
I really love live trees or cut trees.. but they pose a fire hazard after a while even if one waters them daily. So we have an artificial one..
Holidays bring some bad memories too.. and that is sad.. it should be a happy time.. great get-togethers, family, friends, foods that we don't usually have around any other time of year...
What do you have for Thanksgiving? Turkey? What if you can't eat turkey?
How about for Christmas? Ham? Turkey? or just pot luck?
We always have had sauerkraut, pork and kielbasi for New Years.. along with traditional mashed potatoes..

No comments: