Saturday, June 24, 2006

CELEBRATE YOUR SENSES DAY



June 24.. Celebrate the senses day.. another interesting day. Well, I don't quite know just HOW we celebrate our senses, but I'm certainly glad for all 5 of them. Sight is just so precious.. I may have to wear glasses to improve it, but I can see.. The Lord gave us 2 of them too.. doubly good. Do you know most people blink
every 2-10 seconds? In a day, you may have your eyes shut 30 minutes more or less!
Wendell always tells me I'm color blind.. statistics say one in every 12 males is color blind!

The sense of touch is ever so important.. Just touching someone's shoulder can ease pain or grief or give that person a lift. Who among us doesn't like their shoulders or back rubbed, eh? I love to have my feet rubbed..very relaxing. Listen to your cat purr the next time you pet it.


Speaking of cats reminds me of the sense of taste..... no, I don't eat them.. but they sure do a lot of licking. Taste buds let us enjoy the foods we eat..sour, salty, sweet, or bitter. The taste buds are only located in the mouth..



Oh.. the sense of smell..this helps us enjoy foods too.. As JJ always says, if it doesn't smell good, I don't eat it! Smells can be calming or exciting.. they can jolt our memories.. Remember the cucumbers in vinegar that Grandma Imm used to make.. ?? I think of her every time I smell that dish. I relate the smell of camphor to being ill as a child..ugh!


The sense of hearing. I've lost much of mine. I have to remind people that I hear better in my left ear than my right. One day I'll have a hearing aid and be able to hear in both ears.
So I'm celebrating my senses today.. I can't imagine life without one of them. It would be so difficult.

These 'holidays' are interesting.. I'm learning a little bit as I investigate each day.
Can't wait to see what tomorrow's special day is!!

No comments: