Friday, June 23, 2006

JUNE 23-TAKE YOUR DOG TO WORK DAY

Though I was trying to stick to just one of our national/world holidays.. and there is at least one for every day of the year.. I had to choose 3 for today- just too good to pass over.
So let's get started.


Today, June 23rd, is officially TAKE YOUR DOG TO WORK DAY.

"Take Your Dog to Work Day calls attention to the wonderful companions dogs make and encourages pet adoptions from animal shelters, humane societies, and rescue groups. Every year in June, owners and co-workers enjoy the companionship of furry friends while employers are able to experience first hand the benefits of pets in the workplace."
There are rules, do's and don't's of taking a dog into work.. for example: don't take your pit bull with you, or you may be alone at the end of the day.. or make sure your dog is well groomed- it's raining today and the smell of a wet or smelly dog turns my stomach and would not please my employer if I had to go home with a gastric upset.. You get the idea.
So, all you dog owners.. get those pets groomed and take 'em in to work. Don't forget to ask permission from your employer too.. they may or may not love little Fido like you do.



Today is also "LET IT GO DAY".
"Let It Go Day" was created by Thomas and Ruth Roy of Pennsylvania. In their own words, "Whatever it is that is bugging you, drop it! It's only eating away at you and providing nothing positive."
Whereas this is a good message on the surface, I believe that one needs more than a decision to 'let it go' to make life less stressful. Scripture provides some help:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Seems to me this is the place to begin. Peace doesn't just come by snapping one's fingers..

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

Isaiah 26:3



UNITED NATIONS PUBLIC SERVICE DAY
"The United Nations Millennium Declaration emphasises the role of democratic and participatory governance in assuring the rights of men and women to live their lives and raise their children in dignity, free from hunger and from the fear of violence, oppression, or injustice. Experience demonstrates that without good governance, nationally or internationally, and an efficient,competent, professional, responsive and highly dedicated public service, sustainable development and livelihood are jeopardized. The Secretary-General, in his speech at the World Youth Forum in 1998, stressed the importance of public service by encouraging the worlds youth to enter into this field. In this spirit, the General Assembly, by its resolution A/RES/57/277, designated 23 June as the United Nations Public Service Day to celebrate the value and virtue of service to the community."

No comments: