Tuesday, June 20, 2006

POP QUIZ

I'll give you the line.. you guess the document..

#1:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--"

#2:
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this.............."

#3:
"Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. "

#4:
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations. "

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

1) Declaration of Independence
2)Constitution
3) Gettysburg Address
4)Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Address

Okay-so I cheated on #4. ;-)

Here is one for you...

"Mr. President: No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subjects in different lights;"

Jemit said...

THAT SOUNDS LIKE PATRICK HENRY IN HIS GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH ORATORY???

Jemit said...

I guess you could say I cheated too.. as I was looking for these lines from familiar documents, I read these words of Patrick Henry..
Well, history is wonderful!

Jemit said...

by the way, you were absolutely right on all counts Rebecca..
atta girl!!! Sorry, no prizes, but you can be proud that in this day and age, YOU recognized the documents.

Jemit said...

OOPS! I'M WRONG..THE #1 IS THE CONSTITUTION AND #2 IS THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.. SORRY REBECCA..

Anonymous said...

I knew them as well - but only because we sang them in chorus in high school (many moons ago!) - but it stuck with me!

Rebecca said...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I meant that! (I THINK...) hehehe

Yep-you were right. But that was easy! I have a whole book of 'Great Speeches'. perhaps I will go searching to REALLY stump you! :-)

Jemit said...

OK.. GO AHEAD.. BUT KNOW THIS BEFOREHAND, I ONLY KNOW THE MORE POPULAR SPEECHES.. I DON'T KNOW THE OBSCURE.. HEHEHE