Friday, July 07, 2006

COMPUTER TRIALS

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise."
James 5:13

Today I am happy and thank the Lord for answering my prayers. I have struggled over the computer problems and have been praying over just what He wants me to do about it if anything. As many know, this poor old machine was on it's last legs and trying hard to crash. I couldn't seem to do anything that would heal the problems, and I'd lost the Recovery Disks. The problem is that I pay bills with the computer, keep in touch daily with friends and family via computer.. it seems like my whole life tends to revolve around the computer. So not having it seemed like a real mountain I was going to have to climb. A new computer is not within our budget.
Two nights ago, I decided to turn it off and just get some cleaning done in my bedroom... and there were the Recovery Disks.. the first thing I put my hands on as I began to go through boxes of stuff from upstairs.
JJ had so kindly made copies of all the items, pictures, etc I had on this computer. I had to send attached files to her and she quickly made the CDs for me. So, when I decided I'd saved everything possible..... I took a deep breath and put the Recovery Disk into the CD drive, and the PC erased EVERYTHING .. all my files gone forever... This is the 3rd time I've purged this machine.
To make a long story short, I had priced new hard drives at about $300..... I just couldn't spend that much on a computer right now. But with the recovery, the PC is now running much smoother.. but not without one more expense.. a new mouse... all of $15 for a new optical mouse. So the computer is running smoothly and I'm delighted. I did have one other expense to repair this PC.... a 3" Floppy drive (external) that Mandy and John got for me last evening.. I believe about $30. Now I can transfer the data I have on the little disks to the hard drive and JJ will burn CDs for me again. So, for $45, the computer is almost like new, and it's a far sight from the $300 units I'd priced. God is good .. He has led me through and I did get the best deal.. it was hard to have patience and wait, but in His time.. He has made things right again.

No comments: