Friday, March 28, 2008

I don't know what triggered it, but I had a full blown "asthma attack" or 'episode' yesterday evening. Just minding my own business, I'd accomplished most of the things I set out to do for the day. Earlier in the afternoon I'd had a bit of an episode while driving.. but that calmed down after arriving at home .. and resting for an hour or so.

I must say, last evening's event was quite the frightful experience and I don't really want to repeat it if that is a possibility. I thought about calling 911 for an ambulance to take me to the local ER, but wanted to give myself a chance to settle on my own before letting sheer panic set in. I tried all my little tricks to settle down.. changing positions, concentrating on slow breathing, and when none of these worked, I went for my Proventil inhaler .. and then the hot steam in the shower and some Robitussin to ease the coughing.. Everything helped a little.. I finally took my 2nd dose of advair, put my CPAP on and fell asleep. I did sleep pretty well even with a bit of coughing through the night.

Today I seem to be on the edge.. Not full blown , but doing an excessive amount of coughing that makes my ribs and back ache. It's so tiring.. I try to rest a lot, but sometimes it's just not possible. I'm wheezing.. I can feel it quite a bit today. My body is working harder to oxygenate my system.. I feel like I've been running a marathon and will very likely have to lay down a while to relieve it all.

No comments: