Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Putting things in perspective


I've probably never done anything in moderation in my life and yesterday I have a feeling I really over-reacted to the doctor's diagnosis of allergy induced asthma. The excellent diagnosis gave me the sensation of being 'blind sided'. I never saw it coming. You'd think a nurse would be able to tell the difference, but there were a lot of other things that entered the picture that made me think bronchitis. I'd decided the diagnosis before I got there and was rather bewildered when he said 'no bronchitis'.. As Wendell said "that's what you pay him the big bucks for"...
So what happened last night after taking the first puff of the steroid , the first tablet of allergy med, and the nasal spray? It was about 4 hours after taking the first doses, when Wendell made the comment that I'd really settled down as far as coughing was concerned. I thought about it and realized he was correct. The sinus swelling was going down, I wasn't coughing as much, and when I did, the sputum had changed dramatically. It was now clearer and much less in quantity. I was actually feeling a good bit better.
This morning I'm about the same for the moment, but I slept comfortably all night long and though there is some cough to clear the passages this morning, wheezing, and stuffy nose, I'm okay. I will survive this.
I'm not pleased with my problem, but I can live with it if I must, and try to make the best of it. I know I'll have bad days and good ones too. One day at a time.
I have given this much thought.. and I do thank the Lord for the correct diagnosis, the kind doctor who explained it all to me, and the medications to ease the discomfort. I know I live in a most awesome age, and where my ancestors likely had to suffer severely, my symptoms can be mild to moderate with the care and treatment of today. Where it was life threatening to them, it's but an inconvenience to me.
I realize how self centered my complaints were/are, but don't think for a moment that I have forgotten how much more others are in trouble, in pain, or suffering so much more than me. I'm very aware of this fact, and my problems don't seem so great when I look away from myself.

No comments: