Wednesday, July 25, 2007

IT'S WEDNESDAY

Though I can't say it's been an earth-shattering WOW day, it has been a good one. I woke up early and refreshed, and the fog seems to have lifted. My back feels solid and together again, and I've been a semi-busy bee today.
The kids came for a visit while mom had other places to attend. I wish I had taken more pictures- the one I took of the boys didn't turn out well, and somehow I missed Joyce altogether. I should have had the camera in my hand when she was cooking lunch today- rotini. Joyce is going to be a wonderful cook some day. She knew why we put the olive oil in the boiling water, and I explained to her why we use salt in the water too. We also had chicken strips for lunch- ooooo good!
The children spent a lot of time outdoors feeding the chickens, and running. David in particular ran a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep on the way home..The older boys took a dip in the pool which really needs cleaned, though it wasn't THAT bad. Joyce opted to play with her frosting in bags- designing flowers and practicing cake decorating. If I'd had just a bit more advance notice, I would have had a cake made for her. I'll maybe do that this weekend and put it in the freezer.
Annabelle is such a sweet little girlie.. and very serious. I tried and tried to get a smile from her, but I think she is afraid I'll try to snatch her from her mom- the times that I do , she fusses and cries for Mama, and then when Mama takes her, she turns back at me and grins. I guess she got what she wanted. I keep telling her it's fun at Gramma's house, but she hasn't accepted that at this point.. but one day..
I took a walk outside today looking for a little wild rabbit that has been so cute and friendly. It has come right up to the porch on occasion. Mandy thinks one of the cats got it. I feel sad about that, even though I know that little bunnies grow up to be big bunnies and eat the veggies in the garden. They don't do near the damage of the groundhogs or the deer. Wendell said that this week he saw a doe with her fawn in the garden. Hmmmmm



This is the window well where a not so pleasant groundhog has dug it's hole. John filled it in once, but it's back again. Groundhogs apparently have long tunnels that can be miles in length.


When David came today, he found a stack of VCR movies that Aunt Nicki sent. He was so thrilled to have some new ones. They watched the Wiggles this afternoon before they went home, and David took it home with him. While I was cleaning in the bedroom, I had found a couple of backpacks I'd bought for 25 cents at the dollar store a year or so ago, and then a Barbie doll. Annabelle was the only one who didn't get a treat of the month, so I bought her a new outfit.. and that left David. He didn't complain about not getting something, so I decided he could take a movie home. He was so excited !


Speaking of Wiggles, this little girlie was dancing while the music played. She apparently has an appreciation for music, though Amy says she wiggles even without the accompaniment. I had just given her back to her mom here, and she was very suspicious of me. One day....


Nature walk time! I was walking around hoping to see the bunny when I spied these Japanese beetles on the rambling roses. Charlie says that when he picks the red raspberries, the chickens come to feast on the beetles. He makes a point of flicking them their way, and they all dive for the beetles.. not MY cup of tea, but to each his own.


I was curious to see if the hornet nest had grown. Yes, it has. It looks rather large now..


For the last few weeks, Mandy's tomatoes have been producing ever so painfully slow. There are about 3 red ones on this plant and the other one has about the same. It's so nice to walk outside and pick a tomato and just pop it in my mouth. The flavor is nothing like the store bought ones.. so sweet and juicy!


These pansies are doing very well. I think they have the cutest faces. I'm almost tempted to walk up to them and start a conversation. Hah!

1 comment:

Jthemilker said...

I admit... I stole a tomato bite the last time I was over and it was SOOOOO Good!