Wednesday, September 20, 2006

DREARY DAY?

Brrrrrrrrrr..!! It's 51 degrees this morning.. and it's been raining.. Lake Blair is back , but if the rain stops, it will soon be gone also. We are thankful for the good drainage of our driveway area..Flooding here has never been a real problem.
The weather prognosticator says the temperature today won't get much above what it is at the moment. In a few short weeks, our trees will resemble the picture here.. for now, they are in transition~ not yet colored , but you can see the sort of yellowy change to them anyway.. The maples show it the most, I think.

Yesterday, despite all my longing to not have to be the 'extra' secretary, I worked the full 8 hours. My first 4 hours I spent on Psych. It's a locked unit, and that makes me a bit nervous. I really like the staff there. They always make me feel as close to 'home' as possible. But the paperwork is confusing to me, and there is a lot of it. I don't get sent there too often, so I have to learn all the names of the staff over again. There are a few I know but they change a lot.
At 3pm, I called the nursing office to see if I was going home or what? No, back to my home unit.. So, when I arrived there, I was given the option of staying and taking an assignment for 4 hours while the 3-11 person got pulled to the transitional care unit. I opted for my own unit...... for about 5 minutes when I realized that the person coming in had to work 8 hours, and to upset her applecart by making her go somewhere else for the first 4 just didn't seem right. So I told her that I would be the one who would go. Funny how everyone thought that was just plain wonderful that I'd volunteer to be pulled in another person's place. I don't see it that way at all. I would expect that if I were in the other secretary's place, that someone would do that on my behalf also. It's just common courtesy. So off I went. I left the department totally at suppertime. I went out to my car with my banana and some tuna.. and sat down for a breather. I was having a decent evening. Yes, there were admissions, but I was getting better at their paperwork~ the specialty units all have their own ways of doing things.. Med-Surg has another way.. The TCU has an initial 12 pages of orders to be transcribed on the patient's admission. It sounds like a nightmare, but it's really quite simple. The first one I did a month or so ago, took me over an hour.. the 2nd one more like 40 minutes, and the following one about 30 minutes. That's where I was when I started yesterday.. Everything is preprinted, so you don't have to struggle to read doctor's scrawling. The nurses take the chart orders and check off 'yes' or 'no' to the various orders..Most were 'no' last evening, making my task simple.
On my way back from my supper break I ran into one of the secretaries from my home unit.. they were being totally slammed.. it was stressful for them. This secretary said that just as she was leaving for supper, the charge person gave her the names of 4 admissions that were coming.. and this was the slower side of the unit! I guess I made the right choice when I chose to be pulled.

So I'm off today and tomorrow as far as gainful employment goes. I have much yet to do here. It seems never-ending.
It's not yet 8am, but I need to get started on my day.

Keep us in mind today.. pray for us when you do.. how we appreciate that kindness. I didn't get to talk to Nicolle last evening, but assume she has gone home from the hospital. She is on my mind so often, I think of the verse that tells us to pray without ceasing.. each time her name comes to mind, I do just that~pray.
Uncle Bob is having a bad time with his legs.. we need to be praying for him too- if you haven't added him yet to your prayer list..
I thank the Lord for the goodly amount of health and strength He gives me each day.

2 comments:

Jthemilker said...

Well, being that you are off today, you are missing the annual fall employee picnic here at work. There is somewhat of a Steeler's theme, which isn't that exciting for me; however the food was really good and there has been a nice turnout overall. I played a cheesy game to get some tickets for the chinese raffle. I dumped them all in the basket for "Steelers vs. Browns" tickets. I never win anything here... but if I did, I'd give them to Keith and his Friend Joe - Rivals when it comes to Football. Cross your fingers! Oh that would be a heck of a Christmas gift for my hubby. Hmmm... not getting my hopes up too far tho.

Jthemilker said...

Well, being that you are off today, you are missing the annual fall employee picnic here at work. There is somewhat of a Steeler's theme, which isn't that exciting for me; however the food was really good and there has been a nice turnout overall. I played a cheesy game to get some tickets for the chinese raffle. I dumped them all in the basket for "Steelers vs. Browns" tickets. I never win anything here... but if I did, I'd give them to Keith and his Friend Joe - Rivals when it comes to Football. Cross your fingers! Oh that would be a heck of a Christmas gift for my hubby. Hmmm... not getting my hopes up too far tho.