Tuesday, September 12, 2006

OH, MY ACHING BACK

WHINE WHINE WHINE......
I had an MRI of the lower back done on Saturday. My back has been aching and hips freezing up when I try to walk distances. MRIs aren't much fun.. Not invasive, but laying on a hard slab while listening to a jackhammer in your ears makes it a little miserable. I'm semi-claustrophobic too. I have had 2 other MRIs in the past and have had the techs cover my eyes with a washcloth while they proceeded with the test. Cool air flows around you while you are in the tunnel (more like a tomb), and that gives you the sensation that you have more space around you. The first MRI I had, I could see under the washcloth, and panicked. My heart raced and I started to sweat.. the walls of this tomb are about an inch from the face! It took all the strength I had and a lot of prayer to get through the test, and I promised myself that if I ever had to have another one, not only would I request blinders, but I'd keep my eyes tightly shut no matter what.
In the mean time, after the test this week, it took 2 techs to put me on my feet again. The pain was so intense. You would have thought my entire spine was dotted with herniated nucleus pulposes. Not so...... the results say 'mild broad bulging of the L4-5 disk'~ the keyword here is MILD.. Statistics show that there is a large portion of the general populace that have bulging disks, but don't even know it. They find out when they strain their backs and have the MRIs done...
I've been fairly asymptomatic for a few years.. but here I am again having back problems. It is mild apparently, but you can't convince me of that when I can't bend over to load the dishwasher.
I'll stop whining now..

No comments: