Wednesday, September 27, 2006

OUR CORNER OF THE WORLD

John came home this morning and told me something was 'going on' out on our road. I thought at first the township was finally here to get ready to lay sewage lines..Inquisitive person that I am (some call it nosey).. I took a long overdue walk to the garden~ camera in hand. Well, I don't think it was the township.. I saw a W&F tanker coming out of Doug and Judy's driveway.. I think their driveway was being paved before winter.
I stood on the porch and took this picture of the trucks in front of our place~ I noticed the temperature, the blue sky without any clouds to speak of, and that the air had a smell of fall. I also noticed the briar patch (some call it the berry patch or home of the groundhog) was turning a rusty color. Hmmmm


So I walked out closer to the garden and noticed that the red raspberries are producing again.. I believe this is the 3rd time this year. They are called everbearing, but usually produce 2 crops during the spring/late summer. The morning glories are taking over a section of them.. Charlie says we need to move them for next year.


Even so, that didn't stop me from picking a handful and enjoying them as I continued my walk. Mmmmmmm!!!!
The early spring ones and the ones today had no Japanese beetles. That makes them pleasant to pick.

The weight of this sunflower head has caused it to bend over severely. Their stalk has to be like wood to hold the whole plant up. These will become feed for the chickens.. and a few for a couple of grandchildren for a snack later this fall.
Another Mmmmmmm.. toasted sunflower seeds!

Though everything seems to be reaching it's peak and more, the flowers still are about as beautiful as they were in the early summer. Surrounded by weeds, but still flourishing. At this point, their only usefulness is for the eye. The tomatoes and other crops are pretty much done.

Back at home, the burning bush by the side of the house is beginning to live up to it's name. In a short few weeks it will be a brilliant red.. flaming, if you will..

Meanwhile, I turned toward the woods and saw the reddish tint on the trees.. Soon, very soon, these will also be brilliantly colored.. we just have to wait for the frost to begin the metamorphosis.



Back in front of the house, the impatiens are still flourishing as the flowers are in the garden. I love the flowers. They make me smile with their beauty. These are simple and colorful. That's a pot of spearmint in front of the impatiens. It grows nearly wild here. We tried to contain it... we'll see next spring how well we've done.

No comments: