Sunday, September 10, 2006

GRANDPARENTS

I have only had the honor of knowing 2 of my grandparents.. both grandmothers. i never had the joy of knowing either of my grandfathers.
I love being a grandmother myself. It's a special thing.. a relationship, bond, or connection to the next generation. Where there is often a gap between parent and child, that gap is bridged by grandparents.
Wendell and I are blessed by 7 little ones. At Christmas this year, that number will become 8, and by next April, we will be blessed by 9 little ones. Grandchildren have become a main focus of our lives. We love each one for who they are.
I have adjusted well to being a grandparent. I wasn't sure at first just how to 'be one'. But time has corrected that, and now I do all the things grandmas love to do .. like bake cookies with the children, or make brownies, or crafts, or take long walks, or just sit down and watch a movie with them. Ah.. this is the life.
Though I can't get down much any more because of arthritis, I do try to do the fun things with the grandchildren. The winter before last, I rode the sled in the yard and we made a snowman together.. and a fort. Such fun. I hope my grandchildren will think back one day about the fun gramma they had, and laugh.
When I was growing up, my grandmas were both quite elderly and couldn't do those things with me. My memory of them is a sweet one of little old ladies who had soft voices.
My own children knew their Grandma Imm, but not all knew Grandpa Imm. My Mom was dear to my children's hearts to the day she died. She had a 'special' bond with each of them that they carry with them even today. None knew Wendell's Mom...nor did I, but I know she was a wonderful grandma. All our children knew Wendell's Dad, but not all remember well the fun they had with him.. he took them places, bought them ice cream, and taught them about nature without planning to do so.
My desire is just to be remembered to my children in that way.. not the little old lady with the soft voice,though there is nothing wrong with that, but the Gramma who rode the sleds, started the snowball fights, planned crafts, and baked goodies. The Gramma who supplies the 'treat of the month' for them. And yet even more, the Gramma who loves the Lord more than life and shares that with them in everything she does.
One last thing.. I have had the honor and privilege of giving all my grandchildren their first home baths. I am hoping that this will be continued with the next 2 babies due to arrive in the next few months.
I'm proud of every one of my grandchildren.. can you tell? I am truly blessed.

No comments: