Monday, November 27, 2006

BAMBI !! LOOK OUT !

If I could, I'd stay inside today. Deer hunters seem to be everywhere.. not to mention coming home last night and having to go pretty slowly due to the deer herd on the move. Lots of gunshots this morning. I feel like I live in NYC or something. (no offence, NY)..
As I reconsider, I think it was around November 1st that I started noticing more and more deer at night when I was driving home. They are pretty thick in a 3 mile radius from my house, but I also have seen many at the side of the road along Route 8. These ones won't have to worry about hunters.. they had their tangle with cars/trucks already and are fatalities.
I appreciate the deer hunters. They keep the deer population under control. We used to be a 100% farm area, but now, with 8-10 new houses on our road alone, we have become more residential and the deer have a rough time finding food in the fall/winter. They used to have a lot more territory to roam and graze, but no more. They select our garden usually- the proof is in the hoof prints all over it.
John and Mandy have their property posted. It had never been posted before, as our family had so many hunters. BUT.. there is one problem with hunting in our little woods. Not only is it a small area of woods, but the hunters seem to have forgotten the courtesy of asking if they can hunt here. Last year about this time, Wendell came home to find an unfamiliar truck sitting at the side of the driveway- in the yard. A while later a hunter came out of our woods. Wendell stopped him and asked what he was doing. He said someone told him he could hunt here. Wendell said 'yes, but it is only courtesy to ask the owner first'. He hasn't been back.
But John said he had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago...... so it's posted and we support that.

When Wendell and I were first married, I wanted to go out deer hunting. He agreed. He has done a bit of hunting, but hadn't been out for a few years. I don't think he did it out of sheer huntsmanship.. I think it was because his Dad liked to hunt and the deer were plentiful. So he took me out one day- bright and early.. as a matter of fact, it was in the little woods behind our present house. He sat me down and said.."if you hear a shot and I yell , be ready.".. so I sat for some time watching and waiting for dawn. All of a sudden I heard the shout- "It's coming your way!!" I never saw it. I jumped up and as I brought my rifle up, I shot between my feet in my excitement. Okay. That was it for deer hunting for me. No harm done, but it's not as easy as I'd imagined.
When Wendell was in the Army, he had many pins on his uniform- for sharpshooter and marksman.. he's good.
But I would never be any of the above. Sigh...

There goes the gun shots again.. BAMBI !!! LOOK OUT !!

No comments: