Monday, October 06, 2008


We have a frost warning tonite. I've covered the pretty impatience in front of the house.. those I could. I'm hoping that the closeness the house will keep them warm enough, but if not, some may be saved..

Today was a super good day at the office. 5 out of 6 patients were some of my harder patients to start infusions. While everyone else complained about how chilly it was in the infusion room, I was sweating.. my job can be tedious. The good thing is that no one got jagged more than the initial jag, and I'm thankful. One patient told me that while I was at Gramma camp, she'd come in and was jagged 8 times before she could get her infusion.. makes me feel badly. I remember they told me they almost called me that day, it seemed as though she would not get her biologic.

News of the failing economy makes me think we should renew our Y2K efforts.. We may need some simple supplies in the future.. I don't know, I don't predict, but it sure looks that way..
I was checking out FEMA's basic emergency stock to have on hand in case of.... (fill in the blank)
Shelter.. Water...Food
They suggest making small 'disaster kits' to keep at home, office, and in your car.
The Home disaster supplies should cover food, water and supplies for at least 3 days (2 weeks or a month would be better)
The 3 day supply kit would be ready to pick up and go at a moments notice.
The one at the office should be like a backpack of supplies should you be evacuated from work.
The one in your car is in case you would get stranded on your way and includes different things like food, water, first aid supplies, flares, jumper cables, and seasonal supplies.
How much water?
1 gallon of water per person per day is the rule of thumb. Certainly, we realized that when the power was out a few weeks ago and we had no electricity for nearly a week.
A normally active person needs at least a half gallon just for drinking. Individual needs vary according to age, physical condition, diet and climate. Children and nursing mothers would need more. Medical emergencies might require even more water.
Considering food..
Avoid foods that make you thirsty. Choose salt free crackers, whole grain cereals, and canned foods with high liquid content.
Stock some canned foods, dry mixes, and other staples that do not require refrigeration, cooking, water or special prep. * Be sure to have a manual can opener.

In the basic disaster supplies kit:
3 day supply of non perishable food
3 day supply water- one gallon/person/day
Portable battery powered radio and extra batteries
First aid kit and a manual
Sanitation and hygiene items- moist towelettes and toilet paper
Matches, lighters and waterproof container to keep them dry
Whistle
Extra clothing
Cooking utensils, can opener
Photocopies of identification and credit cards (laminated or in zip loc bag)
Cash, coins
Special needs items include prescription meds, glasses, contact lens solution and hearing aid batteries
Formula, diapers, etc
Any other items to meet unique family needs

In cold climates..
Jacket/coat
long pants
long sleeve shirt
sturdy shoes
hat, mittens, scarf, gloves
Sleeping bag or warm blanket per person

Sounds like a lot... it is

No comments: