Sunday, September 02, 2007

LAZY DAY

You have to admit.. when fall starts, days become more lazy.. cool mornings, warm afternoons, and cool again in the evenings. So it is now. We were in the mid 50s overnight this week with highs in the 80s. Really lovely weather.. but it makes one drowsy.
I took a short nap today after church. I needed it. But I'm still not up to par for the day.
I took a little walk outside and around the back of the house~ just in time to see a deer in the woods. I stood very very still and gradually raised the camera up to take a picture. I actually got 3, but when I uploaded them.. I could bearly distinguish the deer from her surroundings.. so I guess I will just keep trying. John got some fabulous shots of them behind the house. You can check them out on his blog.. Zombecks.



Quirky little plant growing behind the house..and everywhere else for that matter. We call them 'touch me nots'.. as if you touch their little seed packet, it will explode all over.


Yesterday I watched this hawk in the front yard for about 10 minutes as it soared overhead.. and then I got the camera. It was such a huge ominous looking bird. I saw it's shadow on the ground in front of me.
I watched the chickens too.. that was what the hawk was looking for anyway. The hens dived from one sheltered area to the next .. running like mad in between so as not to be the hawk's dinner. The hens have a regular route to safety. From the henhouse to under the end of the trailer, to the old henhouse, and then the stretch to the forsythia bush which completely hides them from humans or any predator. Interesting to watch. They don't run in a flock, but one at a time to the safety zone. All the while, the hawk soars in a circle above them.


I was curious to see if the camera would take this picture of a black ant on the top of the cooler.
Hmmmm.. yes, it did.

Tomorrow we are planning a picnic for Labor Day. Family.. Anyone doing anything interesting tomorrow?

No comments: