Sunday, October 14, 2007


The weather reports today seem to be not agreeing for the current moment. One said 39 and one said 46. The even odder thing is that the one that said 39 is now creeping rapidly to the 46 mark- something I've never seen before.. the ascent of temperature gauge.
Oh well.. it's chilly~ I can attest to that.

Yesterday at work was supposed to be calm- well, that's what I was told. But for me, it was quite busy. One after another came the admissions and the daily work had to be done too. It's my job and I try not to complain. Yes.. I do have one complaint which I am going to address with my boss next week. It seems like every evening I work there is one or 2 admissions that arrive on my department at 11:15 or just a few minutes after. I leave at 11:30..and it annoys me that they wait to bring these patients at this time. Let me correct that- it isn't that it SEEMS like it, but in the past few weeks it actually HAS occurred at that time. I'm tired and want to go home, but have to make sure there is a night secretary working to to that. If she is used for some other purpose I have no choice but to stay and complete the work. I am not one who goes for the overtime. I do my work in a timely fashion and then I want to go home.
Weekends are always short handed and I'm often the only secretary on the unit. Now, they don't seem to take into account the fact that nothing changes on my department from one day to the next. .. ie Mass discharges followed by the 'grand admission slam'.
Making matters worse is that some ancillary departments close for the weekend. Hello?
I thought this was a hospital giving care to the patients who are needing to be there.
Holidays are even worse. The pharmacy usually closes at 11pm sharp and on holidays can close at 4pm. AND ancillary departments all over will have the DAY or WEEKEND off.. what are these patients supposed to do for one day when they can't have the proper testing done because someone wants a day off? I understand outpatient procedures, but INpatient? UGH.

Sorry for all the complaining. 110 days to go.. getting ever closer to that day when I can hang up my secretary hat. I pray for the strength to get through the next couple of months.

No comments: