Sunday, December 09, 2007

54 and 23

There is a time and a season for all things.. so says scripture. I am aware of the days passing by so quickly. And indeed, I'm wanting this desperately at this point. It's December and January is hot on it's trail. Like the theater ad says "COMING SOON"!
It's a mere 54 days before retirement and when I checked the calendar a few minutes ago, I realized that I have about 23 working days left in my hospital career. One of the doctors made a comment that 'you're going to miss it'.. but I don't think so.
I have a hard time believing that I could miss a schedule that prevents me from joining family occasions, time with my children and grandchildren, birthdays and holidays. No, I won't miss the hospital schedules. Nor will I miss winter driving because I have to keep that schedule.
All the people who I worked with over the years with whom I'd become really friends are all now retired and I haven't seen most of them since. Sigh... I'll join those ranks soon.
So, I wonder if he meant I'd miss the doctors? I don't think so. There are several I enjoy very much, but most are not anyone I'd miss in the long run of things. Besides, I'll still be working in a doctor's office. Not like I won't see doctors any more either.. As one grows older, the calendar tends to fill up with doctor appointments. So, no, I won't miss the doctors either.
So do you suppose he meant I'd miss the work? Yeah.. getting 'slammed' every evening with an overload of admissions.. 5 people standing in front of me asking why I didn't do their request 30 minutes ago, doctors wanting charts and taking them right out from under my pen ~ literally.
3 out of 4 phone lines ringing all at the same time and though there are 8 people standing around listening, I am the only one 'required' to answer any of the lines.. so they opt out... Miss this?
Chart rack filled to overflowing with orders left over from an earlier shift.. and then the all too frequent calls from ancillary departments demanding to know why Mrs. X was not in their department when scheduled... well.. I dunno..and then being the messenger to someone who can actually move the patients but is irritated with me for asking... I don't really think I'll miss this either..
I'm glad I was healthy enough over the years to be gainfully employed to help our family along with a house, cars, and schooling. Without the hospital, these things would not have been on our budget yet. I'm thankful for several of my superiors.. very good people in management.. they did their jobs well. But these things have come to an end. I'm thankful for that too... my health is an issue here and as I age.. as the seasons change.. so do I.
So as I see things.. there was a time for employment, but now a time for some fun.
A less hurried schedule, though just as full. I will be able to go more regularly to church..
I'm gonna love this thing called 'retirement'.

No comments: