Sunday, December 30, 2007

MY FAMILY BLESSES ME

My family has always been a blessing to me. It's not a new revelation, but needs to be acknowledged now and again.
We have been a very family-centered group. We joy with every accomplishment the other acquires, and we weep together when there is reason for sadness. We celebrate holidays and birthdays together and when there isn't a good reason to celebrate, we picnic together.
The church has brought us together even closer. We meet on a common ground of love of our Savior. It gives me reason for joy.
When I find myself feeling down, I try to remember to count my blessings. You might think it's a waste of time, but I assure you, it is uplifting in every way. It's been that way this weekend.
I am hurting. I have physical pain that tends to make me feel sorry for this sad old body~ truly the words 'the spirit is willing but the body is weak' have meaning for me. If I didn't understand it in my youth, I certainly do as I age. So, my 'count your blessings' list grows and is a source of comfort and real joy to me.
I immediately count 9 blessings right off the top- Joyce, Isaac, Paul, Esther, Daniel, David, Gaylie, Annabelle, and Eli. I don't get to see them all as much as I would like, but then that doesn't limit the blessing. Seeing my 'children's children' is a promise God gave me in scripture.
Though 5 of the 9 live relatively close, the other 4 live 6 hours away, but are every bit the blessing. Hearing the children pray earnestly and asking blessing on others and food makes my heart glad. Knowing their parents are actively teaching them about Jesus is one huge blessing to Wendell and me.
I'm blessed with 4 children who have married well, and their spouses are very loved. Each one blesses us in different ways, caring for their parents as they age. We must have done something right, or is it just Grace? We feel their love for us in so many ways.. laundry, cooking, sharing, a willingness to help in any situation when needed, praying for us, and just being there. A phone call, pictures of the kids, and just understanding the difficulties we face as we grow older.

The blessing of siblings who also are included in our local family, but many are scattered across the nation. California, Arizona, Michigan, and North Carolina; aunts , uncles, and cousins abound!
And don't forget nieces and nephews and their children too!

The blessings of friends too.. Rick and Sandi who live in Maryland and bless me almost daily by internet. Friends that are more like family. Everyone needs a friend like Sandi. She is patient and listens to my complaints and still loves me. She joys in the things that give me joy, and grieves when I am sad. Sandi prays for me daily as I do for her and for Rick.

These are just a handful of our multitude of blessings. We need to concentrate on these things/people and not be so concerned about the things that we can't change.
We are blessed with a home, family, friends, a car to take us where we need to go, plenty of clothes, a warm bed, and sufficient financial resources. A church family completes the circle.. a pastor who is attentive to our spiritual needs and well being, who prepares the gospel message, and presents it weekly.

The blessing of retirement comes to mind.. 33 days today and 12 more working days at the hospital. The hospital has been a blessing to our family in providing employment for over 30 years. The financial stresses of our life could never have been met without the 'extra' income from that institution.
I look to retirement as being a blessing, opening new doors and a new start on our lives. It's an encouragement to us.

Perhaps by today's financial standards we are not even close to being wealthy, but we are rich beyond compare with God's mercy and blessings poured out on us daily.

No comments: