Tuesday, December 04, 2007

CHRISTMAS



According to theologians who are much more educated than I, Jesus was not actually born on December 25 or even thereabout. This was originally a pagan festival now adopted by Christians to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Even so, I do enjoy this festive occasion and we do participate as a family traditionally.
Words that surround the holiday do bother me a bit, but not enough to destroy the family gatherings and giving of small gifts. The children enjoy learning that it's better to give than receive.. but then.. it's fun to receive too ~one of my grandchildren reminded me last year.

Does it bother anyone else that Christmas gets referred to as XMas? I take offense at that term, and refuse to use it, though on occasion for the sake of writing it over and over, I may use CMas in an email.

As far as I'm concerned, you can call the Christmas tree what you want, but in our tradition, a decorated pine tree in the living room around December 25th, will always be a Christmas tree.

You can wish your neighbor a happy holiday.. that's okay, but for me, I prefer the more traditional Merry Christmas.. it gives me a lift to bestow good tidings to the world.

Had you heard of the todo over 'I'm dreaming of a WHITE Christmas'?
Apparently some would try to compare snow to race or national origin?
These folks have too much time on their hands. I may be naive, but the song didn't refer to anything but S N O W- and the last time I looked, it was WHITE..

Wendell reminds me that when his dad and aunt were growing up, they didn't celebrate Christmas but New Years. They exchanged gifts then.

The Christmas celebration is much too commercialized. Too much money changing hands makes for big time bills in January. My idea is buy for the children early and keep the gifts to a minimum. I really don't care whether Wal-Mart or Target don't advertise using the Christmas word.

Where Santa Claus fits in, I don't know. I know as a child I watched for Santa till I fell asleep.. and discovered gifts under our tree when I awoke the next day. I connected Santa with Christmas like every other child. Wendell and I preferred not to discuss Santa, but the children learned it in school and from friends.. sigh.

I find the Christmas season to be one that brings joy and happiness to so many. I think Jesus' statement to Love one Another is the best advice.

Suggestions for the Christmas holiday:
1. write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. Wendell verifies that as he spent one Christmas in Viet Nam.
2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.
3. Pray for the president and leaders of our nation.
4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them.
5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.
6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don'tknow who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.
7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "MerryChristmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families
8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary.
9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity and they will make the delivery for you.
10. Behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in Christ's presence. Let people know by your actions that you belong to Jesus.
AND HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: